Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Probability integral not converging

1. Nov 26, 2011 #1
    Probability integral not converging :(

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

for the joint probability density function:
    [tex] f(x,y)= \begin{cases}
    y & 0 \leq x, \, y\leq1 \\
    \frac{1}{4} (2-y) & 0\leq x\leq 1, \, 0\leq y\leq 2 \\
    0 & \text{elsewhere} \end{cases} [/tex]
    find the following:
    a) [itex] f_1 (x) [/itex]
    b) [itex] f_2 (y) [/itex]
    c) [itex] F(x,y) [/itex]

there are others but maybe this will be enough to help me see what the solution to my actual problem is, problem being that my integrals are not converging and I don't know what to do with that.

2. Relevant equations

a) [tex] f_1 (x)= \int_{-\infty }^\infty \! f(x,y) \, \mathrm{d}y [/tex]
    Where the integral is integrated over the range space of y.

b) [tex] f_2 (y)= \int_{-\infty }^\infty \! f(x,y) \, \mathrm{d}x [/tex]
    Where the integral is integrated over the range space of x.

c) [tex] F(x,y)= \int_{-\infty }^y \int_{-\infty }^x \! f(s,t) \, \mathrm{d} s \mathrm{d} t [/tex]
    Again, the lower bound is replaced by the lower bound of the range space for the appropriate variables.

3. The attempt at a solution

a) [tex] f_1 (x) = \int_{-\infty }^1 y \, \mathrm{d}y = \frac{1}{2} y^2 |_{-\infty }^1 = \frac{1}{2} -\frac{1}{2} \infty [/tex] ???

Lets start there. My time is up on the library computer.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 26, 2011 #2

gb7nash

Homework Helper

Re: Probability integral not converging :(

I'm not sure if this will help much, but you have contradicting information in your problem statement. You're defining:

f(x,y) = y for 0 ≤ x, y ≤ 1
    f(x,y) = .25(2-y) for 0 ≤ x ≤ 1, 0 ≤ y ≤ 2.

These two regions intersect.

4. Nov 26, 2011 #3

(have I mentioned before how much I hate my erroneous book? Especially pdfs that don't sum to 1. Those are among my favorites...)

I'm going to email my professor about the bounds. I will post back when he responds.

5. Nov 26, 2011 #4

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Hi Arcana!

I propose you modify the problem to:
    [tex]f(x,y)= \begin{cases}
    y & 0 \leq x, \, y\leq1 \\
    2-y & 0\leq x\leq 1, \, 1\leq y\leq 2 \\
    0 & \text{elsewhere} \end{cases}[/tex]

I expect that this was intended, and at least that gives you the opportunity to exercise your problem solving skills without delay.

6. Nov 26, 2011 #5

Did you mean to drop the [itex] \frac{1}{4} [/itex] ? Also, even if I accept these bounds, what should I do about the integral that's not converging? I don't think the new bounds change it.

7. Nov 26, 2011 #6

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Yes, I intended to drop the 1/4.
    Perhaps (somewhat later) you can tell me why?

Perhaps you should change the bounds on your integral?

Since f(x,y)=0 for negative values of y, it does not seem right that you integrate from -infty.

8. Nov 26, 2011 #7

Uh, without doing extra math since I have way to much to do already (the lenghtiest problem set for this class, ever), I'm guessing you dropped the 1/4 because when you do then it sums to 1 like a real pdf should. Haha. We don't have many pdfs that actually obey the properties of a pdf in this book.... *grumble grumble* I guess the ability to check your work by using such properties is a luxury we've learned to do without in this class. What a detriment. *sigh*

Oh yeah. no negative probabilities. That's just silly! :P

[STRIKE]Tell you what though, I'm going to change the function to the bounds [itex] 0 \leq x, \, y\leq 1 [/itex] and [itex] 0\leq x\leq 1, \, 1\leq y\leq 2 [/itex] but leave the 1/4, for the reason that the bounds are stupid if the overlap, and I have many more things to work out about this distribution that may be really stupid if the bounds are like that, but I'll levae the 1/4 because we work on pdfs that are big fat lies all the time anyway, and the grader will probably have worked it out with the 1/4.[/STRIKE]

Edit: no, forget it. I'll change it all the way you said. I'll just email the prof again and tell him I did.

9. Nov 26, 2011 #8

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Right! It gives you the unique opportunity to really dive into the problems and rectify them.
    When you are able to do that, you will truly understand the material!

Next time I will just ask you if you can find the mistake in the problem, and perhaps give a hint for that! :wink:

Yep. And good! :smile:

10. Nov 26, 2011 #9

Okay, problem. First, I can't tell my prof I'm dropping the 1/4 without justification, and I can't make the math work out to justify.
    To prove that the pdf sums to 1 when I don't include 1/4, I tried to do:

[tex] \int_0^1 \int_0^{\infty } y \; \mathrm{d} x \, \mathrm{d} y + \int_1^2 \int_0^1 2-y \; \mathrm{d} x \, \mathrm{d} y [/tex]
    But the first integral goes like this:
    [tex] \int_0^1 \int_0^{\infty } y \; \mathrm{d} x \, \mathrm{d} y = \int_0^1 (xy |_0^{\infty } ) \; \mathrm{d} y [/tex] and I'll save myself the tedious typing, you can see the non-convergence problem I'm having. Reversing the order of integration didn't help.

Also, I solved part (a) by adjusting the bounds, but I'm still stuck on part b), which is essential the problem I just said about the total sum anyway. Basically copy and pasted this from above:
    b) [tex] \int_0^{\infty } y \; \mathrm{d} x = xy |_0^{\infty } [/tex]

Last edited: Nov 26, 2011
  11. Nov 26, 2011 #10

I like Serena

Homework Helper

What would f(x,y) be for large values of x? Say x > 1?

12. Nov 26, 2011 #11

great big values of x, when y is still less than 1, are still only =y. How does that affect the integral?

13. Nov 26, 2011 #12

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Nope. They're not.
    Check your definition of f(x,y).
    x and y are simultaneously bound.

14. Nov 26, 2011 #13

when [itex] x \geq 0 \: , \text{and} \: 0 \leq y \leq 1 \: , f(x,y)=y [/itex]
    Thus, for example, [itex] f(1274689,\frac{1}{2} )=\frac{1}{2} [/itex]

Isn't it?

15. Nov 26, 2011 #14

I like Serena

Homework Helper

That's not what was intended.
    Read it like this:
    0 ≤ (x,y) ≤ 1.

That is, 0 ≤ x ≤ 1 and 0 ≤ y ≤ 1.
    It's a common shorthand.

16. Nov 26, 2011 #15

*expletive*

Okay, I think I can solve the rest of this now that we re-defined and further clarified the *expletive* problem.

Thank you, you're a life saver, really. You've prevented my suicide at least four times now. j/k :P

17. Nov 26, 2011 #16

ps,
    can you take a look at my other question? people are using big words at me again.... :uhh:

18. Nov 26, 2011 #17

alas, further problem with this problem. I'm doing part c.
    first, I do two integrals:
    [tex] \int_0^y \int_0^x t \; \mathrm{d} s \, \mathrm{d} t = \int_0^y xt \; \mathrm{d} t = \frac{1}{2} xy^2 [/tex]
    [tex] \int_1^y \int_0^x 2-y \; \mathrm{d} s \mathrm{d} t = \int_1^y x(2-t) \; \mathrm{d} t = \int_1^y 2x-tx \; \mathrm{d} t = (2xt-\frac{1}{2} xt^2)|_1^y = [/tex]
    [tex] (2xy-\frac{1}{2}xy^2)-(2x-\frac{1}{2} x)=2xy-\frac{1}{2} xy^2-2x+\frac{1}{2} x=2xy-\frac{1}{2} xy^2-\frac{3}{2}x [/tex]
    Now, [tex] F(x,y)= \begin{cases} 0 & x \: \text{or} \: y \leq 0 \\ \frac{1}{2} xy^2 & 0 \leq x,y \leq 1 \\ 2xy-\frac{1}{2} xy^2 -\frac{3}{2} x & 0 \leq x \leq 1 \: \text{and} \: 1\leq y\leq 2 \end{cases} [/tex]

Now, when one or both variable is above it's bound, you just plug in the maximum value of the variable, right? so the rest of F(x,y) looks like this:
    [tex] \begin{cases} \frac{1}{2} y^2 & x>1 \: \text{and} \: 0\leq y \leq 1 \\ 2y-\frac{1}{2} y^2-\frac{3}{2} & x>1 \: \text{and} \: 1\leq y \leq 2 \\ \frac{1}{2} x & y>2 \: \text{and} \: 0\leq x \leq 1 \\ \frac{1}{2} & y>2 \: \text{and} \: x>2 \end{cases} [/tex]

But, [itex] F(\infty ,\infty ) [/itex] should equal 1, not 1/2

What gives?

19. Nov 26, 2011 #18

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Haven't checked your entire calculation yet, but I know you'll have to divide the problem up into 4x3 cases, like this:

[tex]\begin{array}{| c | c | c | c |}
    \hline \\
    & x < 0 & 0 \le x < 1 & x \ge 1 \\
    \hline \\
    y < 0 & & & \\
    0 \le y < 1 & & & \\
    1 \le y < 2 & & & \\
    y \ge 2 & & & \\ \hline \end{array}[/tex]

Can you calculate F(x,y) for each of the cells?
    Some of them will be the same.

20. Nov 26, 2011 #19

I think I have that table covered. I have seven cases, because x or y is less than zero is one case, so count 5 cases on your table as one case, and 12-5 is 7. Anyway, the problem lies with the case x>1 and y>2. I get 1/2 but it should be 1.

21. Nov 26, 2011 #20

should I be adding the integral of the first piece, y, and the integral of the second piece, 2-y, when both are maximum? that would be 1.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook