Probability of eggs cracking homework

In summary: There are 8/8 uncracked, then 7/9, 6/10, 5/11, 4/12, 3/13, 2/14, 1/15. Those are the numerators and denominators. The probability is 8/15, or 2/3. In summary, the probability of selecting all 3 cracked eggs is 2/3.
jestrs
1.A carton contains 12 eggs, 3 of which are cracked. If we randomly select 5 of the eggs for hard boiling, what is the probability of the following events?

a. All of the cracked eggs are selected.
b. None of the cracked eggs are selected.
c. Two of the cracked eggs are selected.

a. .0013
b. .0013
c. .0038

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Any ideas on how to tackle these?

jestrs said:
1.A carton contains 12 eggs, 3 of which are cracked. If we randomly select 5 of the eggs for hard boiling, what is the probability of the following events?

a. .0013
b. .0013
c. .0038
What, exactly, is your question? You give three problems and then three numbers. I can guess that your are saying that those are your answers and waht to know they are correct. It would be far better if you were to show HOW you arrived at those answers.

If the a, b, and c are your answers they seem doubtful as the answers for a and b are the same. That means the probability of:

All of the cracked eggs are selected and
None of the cracked eggs are selected

are the same. This is very doubtful given the number of eggs. Also the probabilities seem quite low which means that it's next to nothing. The probability of selecting all 3 craked eggs SHOULD be next to nothing, but I'm trying to give you a feeling for the answer you have got. That's all.

Having trouble as well

I am having trouble with this problem as well,
So far I am thinking P= #of possible combinations that include 3 cracked eggs/total #of 5 egg combinations possible.
For the denominator I get:
nCr= 12!/(12-5)!5!=12!/7!5!=792
I am stumped as to how to come up with the three different numerators.
I thought maybe the no cracked eggs might be 9!/(9-5)!5!=126??
Any help on how to set up the numerators for each of the 3 questions in the original post would be appreciated. Thanks

Look up Hypergeometric probability. That should give you a good hint.

jestrs said:

a. .0013
b. .0013
c. .0038

cathcath said:
I am having trouble with this problem as well,
So far I am thinking P= #of possible combinations that include 3 cracked eggs/total #of 5 egg combinations possible.
For the denominator I get:
nCr= 12!/(12-5)!5!=12!/7!5!=792
I am stumped as to how to come up with the three different numerators.
I thought maybe the no cracked eggs might be 9!/(9-5)!5!=126??
Any help on how to set up the numerators for each of the 3 questions in the original post would be appreciated. Thanks
I wondered why a post from last December suddenly popped up again!

Just work it out one step at a time.

Initially you have 12 eggs , 3 cracked. The probability that the very first egg you choose is cracked is 3/12= 1/4, of course. If that happens then you have 11 eggs left, 2 of them cracked. The probability the second egg you choose is also cracked is 2/11. Assuming that happens you have 10 eggs left, one of them cracked. The probabilty the third egg is the one cracked one is 1/10. After that, of course, there are only uncracked eggs left, but to be complete, let's write those probabilities as 9/9 and 8/8 . The probability of "CCCUU" (first three eggs picked are cracked, last 2 are not) is (3/12)(2/11)(1/10)(9/9)(8/8).
But that's not the only way to get 3 cracked eggs. What about if the first you pick is uncracked, next three are. The probability the first egg is not cracked is (since there are 12- 3= 9 uncracked eggs) is 9/12. Now there are 11 eggs left and 3 are cracked: probability next is cracked is 3/11. Then 2/10, then 1/9 with the last uncracked of course, 8/8. Probability of "UCCCU" is (9/12)(3/11)(2/10)(1/9)(8/8). Notice that the numerator and denominators are exactly the same (with the numerators in different order)! That is exactly the same as the probability of "CCCUU". In fact, with a little thought, you should see that 3 "C"s and 2 "U"s in any order have exactly the same numerators and denominators, just with the numerators in different order. All you need to do is determine how many different ways you can write the letters "CCCUU"- and that's an easy formula- and multiply by the common probability.

I would think that "all uncracked" would be much easier: that's "UUUUU" and there is only one way to order that! Initially, there are 9 Uncracked eggs out of 12: 9/12; then there are 8 of 11: 8/11; then 7 of 10: 7/10, etc.

Do the last one, "two cracked, 3 uncracked", the same way.

FAQ: Probability of eggs cracking homework

1. What factors affect the probability of eggs cracking during homework?

The primary factors that affect the probability of eggs cracking during homework are the force applied to the egg, the surface on which the egg is placed, and the height from which the egg is dropped. Other factors such as the temperature and freshness of the egg may also play a role.

2. Is it possible to predict the probability of an egg cracking during homework?

Yes, it is possible to predict the probability of an egg cracking during homework by using mathematical models such as the Bernoulli distribution or the Poisson distribution. These models take into account the factors mentioned above and can give an estimate of the likelihood of an egg cracking.

3. How can I decrease the probability of my eggs cracking during homework?

To decrease the probability of eggs cracking during homework, you can use a softer surface such as a padded mat or towel to catch the egg, apply less force or drop the egg from a lower height, and make sure the egg is at room temperature and not too old.

4. Are there any strategies to increase the probability of my eggs cracking during homework?

If your goal is to have the eggs crack during homework, you can increase the force applied, drop the egg from a higher height, or use a harder surface such as a table or concrete floor. However, please use caution and safety measures when attempting to increase the probability of cracking the eggs.

5. Can the probability of eggs cracking during homework be affected by other variables?

Yes, there are other variables that can potentially affect the probability of eggs cracking during homework. These include the size and shape of the egg, the angle at which it is dropped, and any external factors such as wind or vibrations. These variables may not have a significant impact on the overall probability, but they should be taken into consideration when conducting experiments.

Back