Probability of entangled photons passing filter independent?

In summary, entangled photons passing through polarisation filters at a certain angle show a correlation in their probability of passing the filter. However, this dependence is only evident when the measurement results of both photons are compared. Therefore, the probabilities of individual photons passing their filters are not independent.
entropy1
Consider two polarisation-entangled photons A and B fired at two polarisationfilters that are at a certain angle α. Are the probability that A is passing its filter and the probability that B is passing its filter indepedent probabilities?

I am aware that is probably an incredibly stupid question, but I need peer confirmation.

UPDATE: As far as I understand from Wikipedia, correlation (which is the case here) implies dependence. However, in this particular case the dependence only shows when the two measurement results are brought together...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
entropy1 said:
Consider two polarisation-entangled photons A and B fired at two polarisationfilters that are at a certain angle α. Are the probability that A is passing its filter and the probability that B is passing its filter indepedent probabilities?

For both photons, the probability that the photon passes its filter is 50%, and this is independent of the angle between them. Thus, if you're watching just one end of the experiment you will see a completely random sequence of pass/no-pass events... You might as well be flipping an honest coin and counting heads and tails.

However, that's the answer to the question "What is the probability that a photon passes its filter?". If you're going to ask about the probability that a photon passes its filter, given that the other photon passed (or not) when the angle between the filters is ##\alpha##... That's a different question. To see this effect we have to make measurements at both sides and then compare notes after the fact.

Nugatory said:
If you're going to ask about the probability that a photon passes its filter, given that the other photon passed (or not) when the angle between the filters is ##\alpha##... That's a different question.

If you look at it that way, are the measurements dependent?

Or rather: is P(A+ ∩ B+)=P(A+)P(B+) where X+ is X passing the filter?

UPDATE: I guess that would be silly, for P(A+ ∩ B+)=cos2(α), and since the setup is symmetric, it would yield P(A+)=P(B+)=|cos(α)|, which is not the case, since P(A+)=P(B+)=½. So I guess P(A+) en P(B+) are not independent then. Thanks. Figures, since there is entanglement of course.

Last edited:
The probabilities are not independent. If the photons' polarizations are entangled into a singlet state ##\left| HV \right\rangle
- \left| VH \right\rangle## and you pass both of them through a polarizer with the same angle, then you'll find that exactly one of the photons is absorbed every time (its partner will pass through).

If you only get to see the results from one of the photons from each pair, the results will look like coin flips.

Different entangled states will show other kinds of correlation (such as both photons always doing the same thing, or the photons always doing opposite things when the polarizers are offset by 45 degrees instead of 0 degrees).

I thought of a crazy idea and worked out some math. It all contradicts, so I guess I am not the one entitled to invent fancy theories haha! o0):biggrin::wink:

Last edited:

What is the probability of entangled photons passing through a filter independent of each other?

The probability of entangled photons passing through a filter independent of each other depends on the specific characteristics of the entangled photons and the filter. In general, the probability can range from 0% to 100%.

How does entanglement affect the probability of photons passing through a filter?

Entanglement refers to the phenomenon where two or more particles become connected in such a way that the state of one particle is dependent on the state of the other, regardless of the distance between them. In the case of entangled photons passing through a filter, their entanglement can affect their individual probabilities of passing through the filter, potentially increasing or decreasing the overall probability.

Can entangled photons pass through filters that are not specifically designed for entanglement?

Yes, entangled photons can pass through filters that are not specifically designed for entanglement. However, the probability of both photons passing through the filter may be lower than if they were passing through a filter specifically designed for entanglement.

What factors can affect the probability of entangled photons passing through a filter independently?

The probability of entangled photons passing through a filter independently can be affected by a variety of factors, including the type and properties of the entangled photons, the characteristics of the filter, and the distance between the photons and the filter.

How does the probability of entangled photons passing through a filter change over time?

The probability of entangled photons passing through a filter can change over time due to various factors, such as the degradation of the entanglement between the photons or changes in the properties of the filter. It is important to regularly calibrate and test the system to ensure accurate and consistent results.