Probability of finding a state with azimuthal orbital quantum number

In summary, the problem asks for the probability of finding a system in a state with azmithual orbital quantum number m=3. The solution involves using the expansion postulate and understanding the coefficients of the eigenstates in the sum. There is no need to find any dot products. This is a practice Physics GRE question.
IHateMayonnaise
STATEMENT:

A system is known to be in the normalized state described by the wave function

[tex]\psi(\theta,\phi)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{30}}(5Y_4^3+Y_6^3-2Y_6^0)[/tex]

What is the probaility of finding the system in a state with azmithual orbital quantum number m=3?WHAT I HAVE:

We know that:

[tex]P=\sum_i|<Y_i^3|\psi(\theta,\phi)>|^2[/tex]

So, simply find the dot product of [tex]Y_i^3[/tex] and [tex]\psi(\theta,\phi)[/tex]. If we resolve this into the three components, this translates to:

[tex]Y_i^3 \dot \psi(\theta,\phi) = (y_1^3+y_2^3+y_3^3)\dot(5Y_4^3+Y_6^3-2Y_6^0)=(y_1^3)(5Y_4^3)+(y_2^3)(Y_6^3)-(y_3^3)(2Y_6^0)[/tex]

How can I solve this dot product without resolving the components into the solutions to the spherical harmonics? Am I missing anything, any thoughts? Thanks yall

IHateMayonnaise

EDIT: either PF changed the format for LaTeX or I turned stupid. My first LaTeX statement, within tex brackets is: \psi(\theta,\phi)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{30}}(5Y_4^3+Y_6^3-2Y_6^0). Hmmm. The following is a test of theta:

[tex]\theta[/tex]

which is (replacing []s with ()'s):

(tex)\theta(/tex)

And here is a copy/paste of the LaTeX code from another thread that IS showing up (in another thread, obviously not this one):

[tex]
\alpha\beta\chi\delta\epsilon\phi\varphi\gamma
[tex]

Which for whatever reason copies withOUT the / in the tex bracket, but still does not render. Now I've got two problems..

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It seems there are some latex problems since the move to the new server. Greg is working on remedying it as quickly as possible, I'm sure.

In regards to your physics question:

You do not need to find any dot products here.

You need to find the total probability for the particle to have m=3, and you know the state of the particle is the some of a finite number of eigenstates. This is a direct example of the expansion postulate.

HINT: What do the coefficients of the eigenstates in the sum tell you?

P.S. This is from a practice Physics GRE, correct?

What is the meaning of "azimuthal orbital quantum number"?

The azimuthal orbital quantum number, also known as the angular momentum quantum number, indicates the shape of an electron's orbital in an atom. It can have values from 0 to n-1, where n is the principal quantum number.

How does the azimuthal orbital quantum number affect the probability of finding a state?

The azimuthal orbital quantum number affects the probability of finding a state by determining the spatial distribution of the electron's probability density. Higher values of the quantum number correspond to more complex orbital shapes, resulting in different probabilities of finding the electron in different regions of the atom.

What is the relationship between the azimuthal orbital quantum number and energy levels?

The energy levels of an atom are determined by the principal quantum number, but the azimuthal orbital quantum number also plays a role. As the quantum number increases, the energy levels become more closely spaced, resulting in the formation of sub-levels within each energy level.

How do the values of the azimuthal orbital quantum number change as the principal quantum number increases?

As the principal quantum number increases, the possible values of the azimuthal orbital quantum number also increase. For example, for n=2, the possible values of l are 0 and 1, while for n=3, the possible values are 0, 1, and 2.

What is the significance of the azimuthal orbital quantum number in the periodic table?

The azimuthal orbital quantum number is significant in the periodic table because it determines the ordering of the sub-levels within each energy level. This, in turn, affects the chemical and physical properties of elements, such as their reactivity and atomic size.