1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Probability question again?

1. Mar 10, 2013 #1
    I came across this problem in a book that I bought recently. Three dices are dropped. Find the probability that when we roll the dices:

a) In all the dices we score 5. (Not as a sum) My answer:3/18 = 1/6

b) In at least one dice we score 6 My answer : 3/18=1/6

c) The sum of the scores in the dices is smaller or equal to six My answer :
    we have the combinations (1 1 1), (1 1 2), (1 1 3),(1 1 4),(2 1 2), (2 1 3), (4 1 1) so my answer is 7/18

d) The sum of the scores in the dices is bigger than the product of the scores..I dont know how to do this one

e) In none of the dices we score 5 or 6.This has to be 3/18+3/18 =6/18=1/3

f) In two dices we have the same score..I dont know how to do this one either :/

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 10, 2013 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Let's start with the first one. Can you explain your answer for a) ?

How many possible outcomes are there if you throw three dice?

4. Mar 10, 2013 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

By the way- "dice" is itself the plural of the word "die". There is no such word as "dices".

5. Mar 10, 2013 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It is *very* important that you show us your work, at least for (a) and (b), because I cannot figure out how you could possibly get the types of numbers you have written. Where does the denominator '18' come from?

6. Mar 10, 2013 #5

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ray, I would guess it is 3 * 6, which is an understandable error but incorrect.

7. Mar 10, 2013 #6

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I knew that, of course, but I wanted the OP to spell it out. No luck so far.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted