Probability:sampling without relacement

• Thread starter oddiseas
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses modeling the probability of choosing the correct key from a set of 50 keys, with and without replacement. The first method involves using a geometric distribution to find the expectation of the number of trials needed until the correct key is chosen. The second method involves adjusting the probabilities for each trial based on the previous choices. It is noted that choosing without replacement may result in a higher chance of choosing the correct key, as the number of keys decreases with each trial.
oddiseas

Homework Statement

say i have fifty keys and 1 is the correct key.With replacement i can modell this as a geometric distribution to find the expectation of the number of bernouli trials required until i pick the correct key.But if there is no replacemnt then the probabilities change so how do i model this scenario in order to find quantities such as expoectation and variance?
we are asked to find the expectation when the keys are replaced and then the keys are not replaced. I have done the first bit but can't figure out the second when there is no replacement.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
The probability that the first key chosen is correct is 1/50. If it is not and is not replaced, then there are 49 keys left to choose from, 1 is the correct key so the probability of getting the correct key on the second choice is 1/49. But in order to get to the second choice, the first choice must have been wrong- that had probability 49/50 so the probability of getting the correct key on the second choice is (49/50)(1/49)= 1/50.

If you do not get the correct key on the first or second choice, there will be 48 keys left. The probability of getting the correct key on the third choice is 1/48 but to get to the third choice you had to get the wrong key on both first and second trials- which have probabilities 49/50 and 48/49. The probability of getting the correct key on the third trial is (49/50)(48/40)(1/48)= 1/50.

Get the idea? One important difference between choosing with replacement and choosing without replacement is that when choosing with replacement, it is possible you will never get the right key! But when choosing without replacement, you reduce the number of keys so, at worst, you would get the right key by the 50th trial.

The probability distribution is the uniform distribution with P(i)= 1/50 for all i from 1 to 50.

ok thanks

Related to Probability:sampling without relacement

1. What is the main difference between sampling with and without replacement?

Sampling with replacement means that each item in the population has an equal chance of being selected for the sample, even if it has already been selected previously. Sampling without replacement means that once an item has been selected for the sample, it is removed from the population and cannot be selected again.

2. How is the sample size affected by sampling without replacement?

The sample size is reduced when sampling without replacement because each item that is selected for the sample is removed from the population. This reduces the total number of items available for selection in subsequent samples.

3. What is the impact of sampling without replacement on the representativeness of the sample?

Sampling without replacement can potentially lead to a biased sample because certain items in the population may have a higher chance of being selected for the sample compared to others. This can result in the sample not accurately representing the population as a whole.

4. How does the sample variability differ between sampling with and without replacement?

In general, sampling without replacement leads to a smaller sample variability compared to sampling with replacement. This is because in sampling without replacement, the sample is more likely to be representative of the population, whereas in sampling with replacement, there is a higher chance of getting a sample that is not representative of the population.

5. Can sampling without replacement be used in all types of sampling methods?

Sampling without replacement is commonly used in simple random sampling and systematic sampling methods, but it may not be suitable for more complex sampling methods such as stratified sampling or cluster sampling. In these cases, other methods such as probability proportional to size (PPS) sampling may be used to account for the removal of selected items from the population.