Probability: Showing A\bar{B} \cup B \bar{A} is one event

• Thread starter ehrenfest
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Probability
In summary: In the first equation, it is only included once (in P(A intersect B)) while in the second equation it is included twice (once in P(AB) and once in P(A intersect B)). This is because P(A\bar{B} \cup B \bar{A}) is the event where exactly one of A and B occurs, which includes both P(AB) and P(A intersect B). Therefore, when we add these probabilities together, we need to subtract P(A intersect B) once to avoid counting it twice. This is why we have a factor of 2 in the second equation. In summary, we can show that P(A\bar{B} \cup B \bar{A}) is the event where
ehrenfest

Homework Statement

Let A and B be events. Show that [itex]A\bar{B} \cup B \bar{A}[/itex] is the event which exactly one of A and B occurs. Moreover,

[tex]P(A\bar{B}) \cup B \bar{A}) = P(A)+P(B)-2P(AB)[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

First of all I think that the problem statement is ambiguous because they don't specify the order of operations. I think they mean[itex](A\bar{B}) \cup (B \bar{A})[/itex]

So, basically I was trying to prove this using only the property
[tex]P(A \cup B) = P(A)+P(B)-P(A \cap B)[/tex]
but that failed. I don't know what else to do.

Physics news on Phys.org
You might notice there is a difference between A union B and (A-B) union (B-A). What is it?

Dick said:
You might notice there is a difference between A union B and (A-B) union (B-A). What is it?

Well the symmetric difference (A-B) union (B-A) doesn't contain the middle of the Venn Diagram. How is that useful?

Well, it might be useful in connecting your probability formulae together. The first one is a symmetric difference. The second is a union. So why does one have P(A intersect B) with a factor of one and the other with a factor of two? Why are you asking this?

Last edited:
ehrenfest said:

Homework Statement

Let A and B be events. Show that [itex]A\bar{B} \cup B \bar{A}[/itex] is the event which exactly one of A and B occurs. Moreover,

[tex]P(A\bar{B}) \cup B \bar{A}) = P(A)+P(B)-2P(AB)[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

First of all I think that the problem statement is ambiguous because they don't specify the order of operations. I think they mean[itex](A\bar{B}) \cup (B \bar{A})[/itex]

So, basically I was trying to prove this using only the property
[tex]P(A \cup B) = P(A)+P(B)-P(A \cap B)[/tex]
but that failed. I don't know what else to do.

I do. I see P(AB) and P(A intersect B) in your problem statement quite clearly.

OK. I think I see what is going on now.

Rewrite the original equation as

[tex]
P(AB)+P((A\bar{B}) \cup (B \bar{A})) = P(A)+P(B)-P(AB)
[/tex]

Since AB and S(A,B) are disjoint, we can add the probabilities on the RHS to obtain P(A \cup B) and on the LHS we can obtain the same thing simply using the property of probability measures:

[tex]
P(A \cup B) = P(A)+P(B)-P(A \cap B)
[/tex]

ehrenfest said:
OK. I think I see what is going on now.

Rewrite the original equation as

[tex]
P(AB)+P((A\bar{B}) \cup (B \bar{A})) = P(A)+P(B)-P(AB)
[/tex]

Since AB and S(A,B) are disjoint, we can add the probabilities on the RHS to obtain P(A \cup B) and on the LHS we can obtain the same thing simply using the property of probability measures:

[tex]
P(A \cup B) = P(A)+P(B)-P(A \cap B)
[/tex]

Good. Yes, the only difference is how many times you include P(AB) in the LHS.

Last edited:

1. What does the notation A\bar{B} \cup B \bar{A} mean?

The notation A\bar{B} \cup B \bar{A} represents the union of two events, where A and B are mutually exclusive and their complements are also mutually exclusive. This means that either A or B can occur, but not both, and either the complement of A or the complement of B can occur, but not both.

2. How is the probability of A\bar{B} \cup B \bar{A} calculated?

To calculate the probability of A\bar{B} \cup B \bar{A}, we need to consider the probabilities of A, B, and their complements. We can use the formula P(A\bar{B} \cup B \bar{A}) = P(A) + P(B) - P(A \cap B), where P(A) and P(B) represent the individual probabilities of A and B, and P(A \cap B) represents the probability of both A and B occurring together.

3. Can you provide an example of A\bar{B} \cup B \bar{A} in real life?

One example of A\bar{B} \cup B \bar{A} in real life could be the probability of a person being either a smoker or a non-smoker (A or B), but not both. The complement of being a smoker would be a non-smoker, and the complement of being a non-smoker would be a smoker.

4. How does the concept of independence relate to A\bar{B} \cup B \bar{A}?

If events A and B are independent, then the probability of A\bar{B} \cup B \bar{A} can be simplified to P(A) + P(B) - P(A)P(B), where P(A) and P(B) represent the individual probabilities of A and B, and P(A)P(B) represents the probability of both A and B occurring together. This is because the probability of A\bar{B} \cup B \bar{A} is equal to the sum of the probabilities of A and B, minus the probability of their intersection, which is 0 if the events are independent.

5. How can we use A\bar{B} \cup B \bar{A} in decision making?

A\bar{B} \cup B \bar{A} can be used in decision making to determine the probability of at least one of two events occurring. For example, if event A represents getting a job offer from Company X, and event B represents getting a job offer from Company Y, then A\bar{B} \cup B \bar{A} would represent the probability of receiving at least one job offer from either Company X or Company Y. This information can be useful in decision making, such as choosing which job offer to accept.