Can Helium Be Converted into Hydrogen?

• Thread starter Loveandbeer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chemistry
In summary, the person is looking for a way to convert measurements of helium in the air to an equivalent for hydrogen. They are thinking about doing this by using a sensor to measure the concentration of helium and then converting that into a reading for hydrogen. They are also thinking about how this might work in relation to the dynamics of mixing between the two gases.
Loveandbeer
Hi everyone,

I'm not much good at chemistry, but I'm in need of a bit of help for a project I'm doing.

My question is: is it possible to convert a volume of helium into a volume of hydrogen? I'm looking at measurements of percentage of helium in the air, and want to convert them to an equivalent for hydrogen.

Sorry if this is a stupid question, I really am bad at chemistry.

Thanks for any help you can give me!

Physics news on Phys.org
Could be it is not a stupid question, but it doesn't make much sense as worded. You know, it is not even wrong. I guess you are mixing several ideas and concepts trying to solve some not well defined question. Or the question is well defined, it is just that you are confused and your approach is off.

Please elaborate on the problem you are trying to solve. What kind of equivalence between hydrogen and helium are you looking for?

--

Ok I'll give it another go. It is quite an abstract idea though as I don't even know where to start, I only went up to Chemistry GCSE so barely have a grasp on moles haha.

Basically I am looking into the safety of hydrogen fuelled vehicles. Long story short, the amount of hydrogen that leaks into the passenger compartment after an impact needs to be measured to make sure the amount isn't going above the lower flammability limits (4%).

But hydrogen is too flammable to use in a normal crash test, so it needs to be done with helium filling the tanks instead.

So my thinking is, there needs to be a helium sensor in the passenger compartment. It will give me a reading of the concentration of helium present (in ppm or maybe mg/kg) and once they give a reading, that reading needs to be converted into one for hydrogen.

If you have it in mg/kg just divide by two. Thats from simple comparison of molar masses.

--

But isn't the volume of all gases the same... irrespective of mass?

Molar volume, not volume per mass. 1 mole of hydrogen has the same volume as 1 mole of oxygen, 2 g of hydrogen have the same volume as 32 g of oxygen.

Note that this simplified approach will work on ppm level, when the concentrations are much higher calculations can get a little bit more difficult. Still, mg/kg is a very good starting unit.

--
methods

Just brainstorming - sure He is twice as dense as H2. But this is a problem of the leakage or injection under pressure of a light gas into a heavier one and wouldn't the dynamics of mixing depend mostly on the difference of densities between the light gas and the dense one (air more than 14 times as dense as hydrogen) so making the helium behaviour not a bad model for hydrogen behaviour?
However if so I imagine there is some engineering experience and practice around it so maybe an engineering thread might find someone who knows what he is talking about? :biggrin:

1. What is chemistry?

Chemistry is the scientific study of matter, its properties, and how it interacts with other matter. It is a central science that connects to many other fields such as biology, physics, and geology.

2. What are the main branches of chemistry?

The main branches of chemistry are organic chemistry, inorganic chemistry, physical chemistry, analytical chemistry, and biochemistry.

3. What are the three states of matter?

The three states of matter are solid, liquid, and gas. Solid matter has a definite shape and volume, liquid matter has a definite volume but takes the shape of its container, and gas matter has neither a definite shape nor volume.

4. What is the difference between an element and a compound?

An element is a pure substance made up of only one type of atom, while a compound is a substance made up of two or more different types of atoms chemically bonded together.

5. What is the periodic table?

The periodic table is a tabular arrangement of the chemical elements based on their atomic structure and properties. It is organized in rows and columns, with elements in the same column sharing similar chemical properties.