Problem algebra involving third roots

Then x= \sqrt[3]{4}- (\sqrt[3]{4}+ 1)= -1. Of course, you could have done this problem in the first place by using the "difference of cubes formula": a^3- b^3= (a-b)(a^2+ ab+ b^2). If you let a= \sqrt[3]{\sqrt{108}+ 10}, b= \sqrt[3]{\sqrt{108}-10
ParisSpart

Homework Statement

Let x = third root of [root (108) + 10] - trird root of [root (108) - 10]. Show that x ^ 3 +6 x-20 = 0 from which to infer the value of x (is a small natural)

The Attempt at a Solution

may can i have some ideas how to find this? i tryed to find the x but i don't know how with the roots..

Physics news on Phys.org

ParisSpart said:

Homework Statement

Let x = third root of [root (108) + 10] - third root of [root (108) - 10]. Show that x ^ 3 +6 x-20 = 0 from which to infer the value of x (is a small natural)

The Attempt at a Solution

may can i have some ideas how to find this? i tried to find the x but i don't know how with the roots.
Hello ParisSpart. Welcome to PF ! (Yes, I see that you have started one other thread, some time ago.)

What specifically have you tried?

Where are you stuck?

To show that [itex]\sqrt[3]{\sqrt{108}+10\ }-\sqrt[3]{\sqrt{108}-10\ }[/itex] is a solution to x3 + 6x - 20 = 0, plug [itex]\sqrt[3]{\sqrt{108}+10\ }-\sqrt[3]{\sqrt{108}-10\ }[/itex] in for x in your equation.

Of course, you will need to cube [itex]\sqrt[3]{\sqrt{108}+10\ }-\sqrt[3]{\sqrt{108}-10\ }\ .[/itex]

(a - b)3 = a3 - 3(a2)b + 3a b2 - b3 .

This is one of those nasty looking problems, but it can be shown that [itex]\sqrt[3]{\sqrt{108}\pm 10\ }=\sqrt{3}\pm 1[/itex].

Also it may be helpful to express, [itex](a-b)^3[/itex] as
[itex]a^3-b^3-3ab(a-b)\ .[/itex]​

Do you know the "cubic formula"? If a and b are any two numbers, then
[tex](a- b)^3= a^3- 3a^2b+ 3ab^2- b^3[/tex]
and
[tex]3ab(a- b)= 3a^2b- 3ab^2[/tex]
so that [itex](a- b)^3+ 3ab(a- b)= 0[/itex]. That is, if we let x= a- b, m= 3ab, and [itex]n= a^3- b^3[/itex], then [itex]x^3+ mx= n[/itex].

And, we can do this "the other way around"- knowing m and n, solve for a and b and so solve the (reduced) cubic equation [itex]x^3+ mx= n[/itex]. From m= 3ab, b= m/(3a) and then [itex]n= a^3- m^3/(3^3a^3)[/itex]. Multiplying by [itex]a^3[/itex] gives [itex]na^3= (a^3)^2- (m/3)^3][/itex] which is a quadratic in [itex]a^3[/itex], [itex](a^3)^2- na^3- (m/3)^3= 0[/itex], which can be solved by the quadratic equation:
[tex]a^3= \frac{n\pm\sqrt{n^2+ 4(m/3)^3}}{2}= \frac{n}{2}\pm\sqrt{(n/2)^2+ (m3)^3}[/tex]

Since [itex]a^3- b^= n[/itex],
[tex]b^3= a^3- n= \frac{n}{2}\mp\sqrt{(n/2)^2+ (m/3)^3}[/tex]

and x is the difference of cube roots of those.

The point is that, in this problem, the numbers are given in exactly that form! We can work out that n/2= 10 so n= 20, and that [itex](n/2)^2- (m/3)^3= 100- (m/3)^3= 108[/itex] so that (m/3)^3= -8, m/3= -2, and m= -6.

1. What is a third root in problem algebra?

A third root is the number that when multiplied by itself three times gives the original number. In other words, it is the number that when cubed gives the original number.

2. How do you solve a problem algebra involving third roots?

To solve a problem involving third roots, you need to isolate the third root and then raise both sides of the equation to the third power to eliminate the root. This will leave you with a simpler equation to solve.

3. What are the properties of third roots in problem algebra?

The properties of third roots in problem algebra include the product rule, which states that the third root of a product is equal to the product of the third roots of each factor. Another property is the power rule, which states that the third root of a number raised to a power is equal to the number raised to the same power divided by 3.

4. Can you simplify a third root in problem algebra?

Yes, you can simplify a third root by factoring the radicand (the number inside the root) into its prime factors and then taking out any perfect cube factors. This will leave you with a simplified expression for the third root.

5. How can you check your solution for a problem algebra involving third roots?

You can check your solution by plugging it back into the original equation and simplifying. If the simplified expression is equal to the original equation, then your solution is correct. You can also use a calculator to evaluate the third root of your solution and see if it matches the original number.