Problem book to accompany Feynman Lectures?

In summary, the individual is interested in studying physics and is seeking suggestions for textbooks and problem books to aid in their journey. They have a background in calculus and are passionate and determined about the subject. Some recommended books include "Mechanics: Kleppner and Kolenkow - An Introduction to Mechanics," "Electromagnetism: Purcell - Electricity and Magnetism," and "Waves: Crawford - Waves Volume 3." The individual is also considering using the master's lectures and is open to any other suggestions. Another book recommended is "H&R&K Physics, 4th/5th edition." They also plan on supplementing their studies with some SR before moving on to the other recommended books. Lastly, they
CrunchBerries
I am not quite taking Engineering Physics yet, but in preperation for a future degree I would like to jump in with both feet and take a journey through physics using the master's lectures.

I know i will be in over my head with the problems, but i am extremely passionate about the subject, determined, and do have a introductory background in calculus. I love math, I love physics and this challenge is very appealing to me.

I would like suggestions for textbooks/problem books, hopefully with a few pointers and tips that would be helpful throughout my journey.

Thank you kindly

Physics news on Phys.org
After doing a bit of research I have found a few books:

1. TIPS
2. Mechanics: Kleppner and Kolenkow - An introduction to Mechanics
3. Electromagnetism: Purcell - Electricity and Magnetism
4. Waves: Crawford - Waves Volume 3

Any comments or suggestions on these?

Thanks

Using the masters lectures? Dramatic much?

There is a problem book to accompany FL that is on sale now. I don't know about the quality, I've never gone through it. Your other post list all good texts, but not what I'd recommend if you've never taken physics before. I would start with H&R&K Physics, 4th/5th edition, volume 1 at a minimum before then going through K&K and Purcell after you've supplemented with some SR before hand.

Likes deskswirl
Thank you, I will check out HRK Physics.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's perfect, I'll order that. Thank you

1. What is the purpose of the "Problem book to accompany Feynman Lectures?"

The purpose of the problem book is to provide additional practice and application of the concepts presented in the Feynman Lectures on Physics. It allows readers to solidify their understanding and develop problem-solving skills.

2. Are the problems in the book similar to those found in the Feynman Lectures?

Yes, the problems in the book are closely related to the topics covered in the Feynman Lectures. They are designed to complement and reinforce the concepts discussed in the lectures.

3. Can the problem book be used as a standalone resource?

No, the problem book is intended to be used alongside the Feynman Lectures. It does not contain any explanations or discussions of the concepts, so it is not suitable for independent study.

4. Are the problems in the book suitable for all levels of physics students?

The problems in the book are challenging and are best suited for advanced undergraduate or graduate students in physics. However, they can also be useful for self-study by motivated individuals with a strong understanding of physics concepts.

5. Is there an answer key available for the problems in the book?

Yes, there is an answer key included in the book for selected problems. However, it is recommended to attempt the problems on your own before consulting the answer key.