Problem Connecting Core with Face Plates (APDL)

In summary, the individual is seeking assistance with their APDL model for a honeycomb sandwich panel, which is not converging in the solution. They are using the NUMMRG command to connect the core and plates, but are unsure if other commands are necessary. The individual is also running a stepped solution with linear geometry and is open to any helpful advice. Some additional details to consider are the use of APDL as the scripting language for Ansys and the potential need to connect shell elements to solids with a specified rotation value.
Anton223
TL;DR Summary
I want to connect the core and face sheets of a HC model in order to run. Also have questions about the solution not converging
Hello everyone,

I would like to know if anyone could help me with my apdl model. I have created a model of a honeycomb sandwich panel but the solution is not converging, is there something that I should pay attention to?
I have connected the core and the plates simply with NUMMRG command, should I use other commands to connect them ?
I am running a stepped solution with linear geometry.

If anyone could help I would appreciate it.

Best regards
Anton

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
A little more details wouldn't hurt. I happen to know that APDL is the scripting language that is used by Ansys to help you set-up your FEM model. But I wouldn't consider that general knowledge. Also, I'm assuming you want to do some kind of stress analysis, but of course you can do many types of analysis.

Also, are you connecting shell elements to solids? Shell elements contain rotations in their degrees of freedom, solids do not. So you need to somehow provide a number for the rotation of the shell elements at their connection with the solids. This number is not fixed of course, it should relate to the deformation.

1. What is the cause of the problem connecting core with face plates in APDL?

The most common cause of this problem is an incorrect or incomplete setup of the face plates in the APDL model. This can happen if the face plates are not defined properly or if there are missing connections between the face plates and the core.

2. How can I fix the problem connecting core with face plates in APDL?

To fix this issue, you will need to carefully review and double-check the setup of the face plates in your APDL model. Make sure that all the face plates are correctly defined and that there are no missing connections between the face plates and the core. You may also need to adjust the boundary conditions and loads applied to the model.

3. Can the problem connecting core with face plates in APDL be caused by a software bug?

While it is possible for software bugs to cause this problem, it is not a common occurrence. Most of the time, the issue can be traced back to an error in the model setup or input data. However, if you suspect that a software bug may be causing the problem, you can contact the software developer for assistance.

4. Are there any specific guidelines for setting up face plates in APDL to avoid this problem?

Yes, there are some general guidelines that can help you avoid this problem. First, make sure that the face plates are properly connected to the core and that there are no gaps or overlaps. Additionally, it is recommended to use consistent element types and mesh densities throughout the model. Finally, always double-check your model setup before running any analyses.

5. Is there any way to prevent the problem connecting core with face plates in APDL from occurring in the future?

The best way to prevent this issue from occurring in the future is to follow the recommended guidelines for setting up face plates in APDL. Additionally, it is important to carefully review and verify your model setup before running any analyses. If you continue to experience this problem, you may need to consult with an expert or seek assistance from the software developer.