Finding Instantaneous Speed: Calc 1 Help

In summary, the object moved according to the equation x(t) = (3.70t^2 - 2.00t + 3.00) m at speeds of 3.70 m/s and 2.00 m/s. Between 1.70 s and 3.20 s, the object's acceleration was 7.4 m/s2.
greatest
An object moves along the x-axis according to the equation x(t) = (3.70t^2 - 2.00t + 3.00) m. how do i find its
instantaneous speed at t = 1.70 s and at t = 3.20 s.

acceleration between t = 1.70 s and t = 3.20 s.

thank u. i just started calc 1. please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
How's velocity and acceleration defined?

Think about a graph here, greatest. You've got metres along one axis, and time along the other. Try drawing one. Now, what does the slope represent, and what's a derivative?

i didnt learn about derivative yet please help. please give me an example.

greatest said:
i didnt learn about derivative yet please help. please give me an example.
Yes, you have.
Do you know what it means to differentiate a function?

the graph is a parabola when i graphed it.

It's all easy stuff when you get the hang of it, greatest. I hesitate to help you with this too much, because if you start flying ahead you might get bored with your coursework. But here's something from google:

http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Differential_calculus

"The rate of change of the place of an object is the object's speed, so we can call the function of its speed at any time "speed(t)". The rate of change of speed is called acceleration. We can call the function "acceleration(t)". Mathematically, "speed(t)" is the derivative of "place(t)" and "acceleration(t)" is the derivative of "speed(t)".

Again:
What does it mean to differentiate a function?

another question i attached a graph and i just want to know how i can find the instataneous velocity at 3.3 second. Thanks for all the help. i am getting better.

Attachments

• p2-03.gif
    p2-03.gif
    8.6 KB · Views: 439
i got 7.4t-2 for derivative what should i do now.

How is velocity, as a function of time, related to the position, also conceived of as a function of time?

velocity is the slope of poistion/time

can u help me set it up please.

greatest said:
velocity is the slope of poistion/time
Which is the same as saying that if you differentiate the position function with respect to time, you get the...?

i got it the dervaitve of the graph is 7.4t- 2 which equlas the velocity and then the acceleration is 7.4. thank u for all the help.

Remember to find the instantaneous speeds at the two prescribed moments!

1. What is instantaneous speed?

Instantaneous speed is the speed of an object at a specific moment in time. It is the rate at which an object is moving at a given instant, and it is represented by the slope of the tangent line on a position-time graph.

2. How is instantaneous speed different from average speed?

Instantaneous speed is the speed at a specific moment, while average speed is the total distance traveled divided by the total time taken. Average speed gives an overall picture of an object's motion, while instantaneous speed shows the speed at a particular point in time.

3. How do you calculate instantaneous speed?

To calculate instantaneous speed, you need to find the derivative of the position function with respect to time. This can be done using the power rule, product rule, or quotient rule, depending on the form of the function. The resulting derivative will give you the instantaneous speed at any given time.

4. What units are used to measure instantaneous speed?

Instantaneous speed is measured in units of distance per unit of time, such as meters per second (m/s) or kilometers per hour (km/h).

5. Why is finding instantaneous speed important in calculus?

Finding instantaneous speed is important in calculus because it allows us to analyze an object's motion at a specific point in time, rather than just its overall motion. This can help us understand the behavior of objects and make predictions about their future motion.