Problem in central force motion

In summary, the particle's motion in a circle under the influence of an inverse cube law force can also be uniform in the radial direction. This is due to the effective potential, which combines the effects of the inverse cube law force and the angular momentum barrier. By rewriting the problem in one dimension, we can see that if the effective potential is a constant, then the equation of motion for the radial coordinate becomes 0, resulting in uniform radial motion.
Vashist Settipalli

Homework Statement

a particle moves in a circle under the influence of an inverse cube law force. Show that the particle can also move with uniform radial velocity,either in or out.
Find theta as a function of r for motion with uniform radial velocity.[/B]

Homework Equations

f=-2A/r^3[/B]
ueff=l^2/2mr^2

The Attempt at a Solution

i found the effective potential but could not reach any conclusion though through that.
the solution states that if the effective potential becomes 0,the radial motion becomes uniform.
i don't get this
please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
You did not find the effective potential. The expression
Vashist Settipalli said:
ueff=l^2/2mr^2
only contains the angular momentum part of the effective potential. What happened to the potential of the inverse cube law force?

If the effective potential in the radial coordinate is a constant, then the equation of motion for the radial coordinate will become ##m\ddot r = - U_{\rm eff}'(r) = 0##.

Orodruin said:
You did not find the effective potential. The expression

only contains the angular momentum part of the effective potential. What happened to the potential of the inverse cube law force?

If the effective potential in the radial coordinate is a constant, then the equation of motion for the radial coordinate will become ##m\ddot r = - U_{\rm eff}'(r) = 0##.

the equations i can take care of,hopefully.
I don't get why effective potential defines the motion since there is already a force in the radial direction.
TIA

Sorry, but it is not clear what you want to say. The force you are referring to is the radial force in three dimensions. You can rewrite this problem as an effective problem in one dimension by integrating out the angular motion. This introduces the angular momentum barrier into the effective potential for the one-dimensional radial motion, which therefore has a potential that relates both to the inverse cube law force and to the angular momentum barrier.

Orodruin said:
Sorry, but it is not clear what you want to say. The force you are referring to is the radial force in three dimensions. You can rewrite this problem as an effective problem in one dimension by integrating out the angular motion. This introduces the angular momentum barrier into the effective potential for the one-dimensional radial motion, which therefore has a potential that relates both to the inverse cube law force and to the angular momentum barrier.
Thank you very much.
I forgot that we were trying to change mtion in 3d to 1d and kept pondering over the fact that if the radial motion is uniform,then the given 3d force should become 0(silly me).
Anyways thank you very much.
you made my day

1. What is central force motion?

Central force motion is a type of motion in which a particle moves under the influence of a force that is directed towards a fixed point, known as the center of force. The force acting on the particle is always perpendicular to the particle's velocity, resulting in a curved path.

2. What are some examples of central force motion?

Some common examples of central force motion include the motion of planets around the sun, the motion of electrons around the nucleus in an atom, and the motion of a satellite in orbit around the Earth.

3. How is central force motion different from linear motion?

The main difference between central force motion and linear motion is the direction of the force acting on the particle. In linear motion, the force is always parallel to the particle's velocity, while in central force motion, the force is always directed towards the center of force.

4. What is the role of angular momentum in central force motion?

Angular momentum plays a crucial role in central force motion as it is conserved in the absence of external torque. This means that as a particle moves in a central force field, its angular momentum remains constant, causing it to move in a curved path around the center of force.

5. How is central force motion related to Newton's laws of motion?

Central force motion is directly related to Newton's laws of motion, specifically the second law which states that the net force acting on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. In central force motion, the acceleration of a particle is always directed towards the center of force, resulting in a change in the particle's velocity and its path.