Is My Lorentz Transformation Calculation Correct?

• Thread starter bckcookie
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lorentz
In summary, Tom and Cheryl disagree on how the light traveling to and from mirrors A and B is affected by the Lorentz transformation. They agree that the light travels slower in the direction of the mirror, and that the time it takes for the light to reach the mirrors is proportional to the distance between the mirrors and the speed of light in that direction.
bckcookie
Problem in Lorentz transformation(Urgent!)

1. Homework Statement

Please see the attached file and advise me my solution is right or not! Thanks!

2. Homework Equations

~ d/t = v
~ Lorentz transformation : x'=(x-Vt)/(√(1-(V^2)/c^2), t' = [t-(V^2)/(c^2)]/√1-(V^2)/c^2),

3. The Attempt at a Solution

a) According to Cheryl, d/t =v, 15/(c/2) = 10^-7s

From Tom on ground,
i) when the light from the spark reaches mirror A
t1 = L/(c+V) = 15m/(3x10^8 + c/2 ) = 3.33 x 10^-8s

ii) when the light from spark reaches mirror B
t2 = L/(c-V) = 15m/(3x10^8 - c/2 ) = 10^-7s

iii) when the light from spark returns to Cheryl from mirror A
t2 = L/(c-V) = 15m/(3x10^8 - c/2 ) = 10^-7s

iv) when the light from spark returns to Cheryl from mirror B
t1 = L/(c+V) = 15m/(3x10^8 + c/2 ) = 3.33 x 10^-8s

b) How to apply the Lorentz transformation equation in the same four events take place?? please advise!

My approach:

t=10^-7s, d = 15m, v=c/2

x'=(x-Vt)/(√(1-(V^2)/c^2),
= 15-(c/2 x 10^-7)/(√(1-(V^2)/c^2) = 0

t' = [t-(V^2)/(c^2)]/√1-(V^2)/c^2),

= 8.66 x 10^-8s

c) They disagree that ligt from the spark reachs mirror A at the same time as mirror B, because when the light from the spark reaches mirror A of clock slow down and length contract. They also disagree the light returning from mirror A reaches Chery l at the same time as the light returning from mirror B, because the light returning from mirror B of clock slow down and length contract.

d) They agree it, because the clock is not slow down and length contract.

e) Using t' = t√1-v^2/c^2)

=10^-7s√1-c/v^2/c^2)

=8.66 x 10^-8s

"Moving clocks run slow"
ΔT = ΔT0/√1-v^2/c^2

Attachments

• tma3q3.jpg
    tma3q3.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 444
  • tma3q3a.jpg
    tma3q3a.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 457
Physics news on Phys.org

There is something wrong there all right:

eg. for (a)

a) for Cheryl: if the mirror is distance L away, then the time for light to reach the mirror is L/c not the L/(c/2) that you have. c/2 is the speed that Tom is traveling in Cheryl's reference frame, the speed of light is always c.

i) to Tom, on the ground, the mirror is moving away from the place the light comes from, making the light travel a longer distance to get there. This means it takes a longer time but you have it taking a much shorter time.

ii) mirror B approaches the source, so the distance to travel is smaller, so the time is smaller, but you have it come out the same.

You will always do better if you construct your equations from the physics than if you memorize them ... and that's what your answers look like.

Simon Bridge said:
There is something wrong there all right:

eg. for (a)

a) for Cheryl: if the mirror is distance L away, then the time for light to reach the mirror is L/c not the L/(c/2) that you have. c/2 is the speed that Tom is traveling in Cheryl's reference frame, the speed of light is always c.

i) to Tom, on the ground, the mirror is moving away from the place the light comes from, making the light travel a longer distance to get there. This means it takes a longer time but you have it taking a much shorter time.

ii) mirror B approaches the source, so the distance to travel is smaller, so the time is smaller, but you have it come out the same.

You will always do better if you construct your equations from the physics than if you memorize them ... and that's what your answers look like.

Please advise me the updated solution as follows;

a) You are right!
i) d/v =t, where d=15, v=c, so, = 15/c= 5x10^-8s
ii) d/v =t, where d=15, v=c, so, = 15/c= 5x10^-8s
iii) d/v =t, where d=30, v=c, so, = 30/c= 10^-7s
iv) d/v =t, where d=30, v=c, so, = 30/c= 10^-7s

b) The times according to Tom for the above four events, Cheryl's frame as the unprimed frame, Tom's frame as the primed frame. Using Lorentz transfromation equation :
x'=(x-Vt)/(√(1-(V^2)/c^2), t' = [t-(V^2)/(c^2)]/√1-(V^2)/c^2),
v of x-axis: -c/2

i) Since the Δx = 0, then
t' = [t-/√1-(V^2)/c^2),
t' = (15/c) x 0.866
= 5.77 x 10^-8s

ii) I don't know whether it is same as i)? or other approah?, please advise!

iii) Since the Δx = 0, then
t' = [t-/√1-(V^2)/c^2),
t' = (30/c) x 0.866
= 1.155 x 10^-7s

Last edited:

for (ii) - if you used the same method as (i) would t' end up bigger or smaller than t? Does that agree with the geometry?

I can confirm that the time of (i) is faster than (ii), but i have no idea how to calculate it, please advise!

Last edited:

There is a limit to the assistance I can give you when it's homework like this, at some stage you have to do your own thinking. Consider - the light pulse travels from the source to the mirror in time d/c ... where d is the distance the pulse has to go. This distance is different from the case where the mirror is stationary ...

Hint: work out the geometry of the situation in Tom's reference frame and use the usual physics you are used to. Notice that the mirror is moving towards the pulse, so it's motion makes the distance the pulse has to travel shorter ... which reduces the time.

Thanks so much! You are right! Done!

Well done.
Caution: - if the difference from the source to the mirror was measured in C's frame, then these distances will be different in T's frame.

My following approach! Thanks a lot!

a) i) d/v =t, where d=15, v=c, so, = 15/c= 5x10^-8s
ii) d/v =t, where d=15, v=c, so, = -15/c= -5x10^-8s
iii) d/v =t, where d=30, v=c, so, = 30/c= 10^-7s
iv) d/v =t, where d=30, v=c, so, = -30/c= -10^-7s

b) The times according to Tom for the above four events, Cheryl's frame as the unprimed frame, Tom's frame as the primed frame. Using Lorentz transfromation equation :
x'=(x-Vt)/(√(1-(V^2)/c^2), t' = [t-(Vx/(c^2)]/√1-(V^2)/c^2),
v of x-axis: -c/2

In fact i m not sure whether the calc. of x is right:

(ct')^2 + (vt)^2 = (ct)^2
therefore, x= ct' = √3/2(ct)

i) t=15/c, then
t' = [t-(√3(ct)/2)(-c/2) /√1-(V^2)/c^2),
t' = 3.27 x 10^-8s

ii) t=-15/c, then
t' = [t+(√3(ct)/2)(-c/2) /√1-(V^2)/c^2),
t' = 8.273 x 10^-8s

iii) t=30/c, then
t' = [t-(√3(ct)/2)(-c/2) /√1-(V^2)/c^2),
t' = ...

iii) t=-30/c, then
t'= [t+(√3(ct)/2)(-c/2) /√1-(V^2)/c^2),
t'=...

Last edited:

Oh? I'd have length-contracted the mirror-source distance before subtracting vT.
You can check your working by drawing pictures - the normal rules for physics have to apply in each reference frame.

You are right! I misunderstood my calculation before. I corrected it and submit it to my tutor! Thanks a lot!

No worries.

Now wasn't that fun?!
Hopefully you'll be better at checking your own work now :)

1. What is the Lorentz transformation and why is it important?

The Lorentz transformation is a mathematical equation that describes how the measurements of space and time change when observed from different reference frames. It is important in the theory of special relativity, as it explains how physical laws and phenomena behave in different frames of reference.

2. How does the Lorentz transformation solve problems?

The Lorentz transformation allows us to make accurate predictions and calculations in objects moving at high speeds, where classical Newtonian mechanics fail. It helps us understand the concept of time dilation, length contraction, and the relationship between space and time in the theory of relativity.

3. What are some common applications of the Lorentz transformation?

The Lorentz transformation is used in various fields, including physics, engineering, and astrophysics. Some common applications include GPS systems, particle accelerators, and the study of cosmic rays.

4. What are the key components of the Lorentz transformation equation?

The Lorentz transformation equation involves the speed of light (c), time (t), and space (x, y, z). It also includes the Lorentz factor (γ), which is a measure of time dilation and length contraction, and the velocity (v) of the moving object.

5. How can I use the Lorentz transformation to solve a specific problem?

To solve a problem using the Lorentz transformation, you must first identify the relevant variables and determine the reference frames involved. Then, you can use the appropriate equations to calculate the desired quantities, such as time, distance, or velocity. It's important to pay attention to units and be familiar with the principles of special relativity.