Problem in meshing a plate (thermal problem)

In summary: Overall, it is important to carefully consider the meshing technique and resolution in order to obtain accurate results for this problem.In summary, for the problem of a composite plate with circular steel in the lower left corner, where the upper and lower surfaces are insulated and natural convection occurs on the left, using a quadrangular element for meshing may result in inaccurate results. To obtain better results, one can consider using a meshing technique that allows for curved elements, increasing the resolution in the area around the circle, or using a finer mesh for the entire plate. Careful consideration of the meshing technique and resolution is crucial for accurate results.
Sorrow117
Hello, I’m trying to solve the following problem: a composite plate with circular steel in the lower left corner. The upper and lower surfaces are insulated, on the right the temperature is constant, and on the left exits natural convection. The analysis is steady-state.
I’m using a quadrangular element. The problem occurs when I mesh the plate and the circle, as is visible in the following image; the nodes of the circle aren’t the same as the plate, around the surface of the circle, so when I solve the problem the temperature of the circle doesn’t change.

The image is in the attachment.

I wonder if anyone knows how I can mesh the problem on obtain good results.

Attachments

• Doc1.pdf
    58.8 KB · Views: 175
Engineering news on Phys.org
One possible solution is to use a meshing technique that allows for curved elements, such as the Finite Element Method (FEM) or the Boundary Element Method (BEM). These techniques allow for the creation of curved elements which can be used to better capture the shape of the circle. Additionally, you could try using a higher resolution mesh in the area around the circle, as this would allow for more accurate results. Finally, you could consider using a finer mesh for the entire plate, as this would increase the accuracy of the solution.

1. What is meshing in a thermal problem?

Meshing in a thermal problem refers to the process of dividing a plate or object into smaller elements in order to create a finite element model. This allows for more accurate calculations of temperature distribution and heat flow within the object.

2. Why is meshing necessary in thermal problems?

Meshing is necessary in thermal problems because it allows for a more detailed and accurate analysis of temperature distribution and heat flow. By dividing the object into smaller elements, the model can capture variations in temperature and heat transfer that would be missed with a coarser mesh.

3. How is the mesh size determined in thermal problems?

The mesh size in thermal problems is typically determined based on the geometry of the object and the desired level of accuracy. Smaller elements provide more accurate results, but also require more computational resources. A balance must be struck between accuracy and efficiency.

4. What are some common challenges in meshing a plate for thermal analysis?

Some common challenges in meshing a plate for thermal analysis include ensuring proper element connectivity, avoiding element distortion, and selecting an appropriate element type for the specific problem. Additionally, complex geometries and material properties can also pose challenges in meshing.

5. How can meshing errors affect the results of a thermal analysis?

Meshing errors can significantly impact the results of a thermal analysis. Inaccurate element sizes or connectivity can lead to incorrect temperature and heat flow calculations, resulting in misleading results. It is important to carefully review and validate the mesh before conducting a thermal analysis.