Problem involving displacement vectors

In summary, the problem involves determining the total displacement of a car that traveled 41 km east, 27 km north, and 26 km in a direction 28 degrees east of north. To find the total displacement, the vector components of each vector must be added together. However, in the given solution, the y-component of the third vector is calculated incorrectly. By using trigonometry, the correct solution is obtained, which gives the car's total displacement as approximately 67.7 km with an angle of 33 degrees measured from the east direction.
frankfjf
Alright, here's the problem:

A car is driven east for a distance of 41 km, then north for 27 km, and then in a direction 28° east of north for 26 km. Determine (a) the magnitude of the car's total displacement from its starting point and (b) the angle (from east) of the car's total displacement measured from its starting direction.

I'm not getting the right answer for part a, and I figure if part a is wrong, I'm going to have the same luck with part b.

From what I can tell, this problem is asking to obtain the total displacement by adding the vector components of each vector. I get the following numbers:

Vector 1: 41sin(0 degrees) = 0, 41cos(0 degrees) = 41

Vector 2: 27sin(90 degrees) = 27, 27cos(90 degreeS) = 0

Vector 3: 26sin(28) = 12.2, 26cos(28) = 23

Net X component: 41 + 0 + 23 = 64

Net Y component: 0 + 27 + 12.2 = 39.2

Then when I take the square root of 64^2 + 39.2^2 I get a wrong answer for the magnitude. What am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
frankfjf said:
Vector 3: 26sin(28) = 12.2, 26cos(28) = 23
I think it's this bit that's wrong, it says 28 degrees east of north (see diagram below - this is my intepretation), so using a little trig, does that not make the x-component 26sin28 and the y component 26cos28, then carry on as normal, and you should get the right answer.
| / Where the vertical line is north, and the angle A is 28 degrees.
| /
|A /
| /
|/

Last edited by a moderator:

I would suggest double checking your calculations and making sure you are using the correct units. In this problem, all distances are given in kilometers, so make sure you are using the appropriate trigonometric functions for that unit. Additionally, make sure you are using the correct angle for each vector. For example, for vector 3, the angle should be measured from north, not east.

Once you have double checked your calculations, you can use the Pythagorean theorem to find the magnitude of the total displacement. Remember to use the same units for both the x and y components.

For the second part of the problem, you can use the inverse tangent function to find the angle from east. This angle will be the inverse tangent of the y-component divided by the x-component. Make sure to convert the angle to the appropriate units (degrees or radians) based on the problem.

If you are still having trouble, I would suggest seeking help from a classmate or your instructor to review your calculations and ensure you are using the correct methods. It's important to be precise and accurate in scientific calculations.

1. What is a displacement vector?

A displacement vector is a mathematical representation of the distance and direction between two points. It is a straight line that connects the initial point to the final point and is typically represented by an arrow pointing in the direction of the displacement.

2. How is a displacement vector different from other types of vectors?

A displacement vector is specifically used to describe the movement or displacement between two points, whereas other types of vectors may represent different quantities such as velocity, force, or acceleration.

3. How do you calculate the magnitude of a displacement vector?

The magnitude of a displacement vector can be calculated using the Pythagorean theorem, where the square of the vector's magnitude is equal to the sum of the squares of its horizontal and vertical components. It can also be calculated by finding the distance between the initial and final points using the distance formula.

4. What is the difference between displacement and distance?

Displacement is a vector quantity that describes the shortest distance and direction between two points, while distance is a scalar quantity that describes the total length of a path traveled between two points.

5. Can a displacement vector be negative?

Yes, a displacement vector can be negative. This indicates that the final point is located in the opposite direction from the initial point. However, the magnitude of a displacement vector is always positive.