1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problem on Work

1. Dec 30, 2006 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A tank full of water has the shape of a parabloid of revolution with shape obtained by rotating a parabola about a vertical axis.
    a) If its height is 4 ft and the radius at the top is 4 ft, find the work required to pump the water out of the tank.
    b) After 4000 ft-lb of work has been done, what is the depth of the water remaining in the tank?

2. Relevant equations
    m = density*volume

3. The attempt at a solution
    I don't know how to do part (b). This is what I have for (a):
    I labeled the radius of cross section as Ri (ith subinterval)
    Ri/(4-Xi) = 4/4
    Ri = 4-Xi
    Volume of ith layer of water = pi(4-Xi)^2 dx
    Mass of ith layer of water = 62.5pi(4-Xi)^2 dx
    Force to raise ith layer = (9.8 m/s^2)(62.5pi(4-Xi)^2 dx
    W to raise ith layer = 612.5pi*x*(4-x)^2 dx
    Total work = Integral of 612.5pi*x*(4-x)^2 dx on [0, 4]

The answer is not right, so can anybody tell me what I did wrong and how to fix it? Also, how would you do part (b)?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 30, 2006 #2

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You seem to have got the wrong shape for the tank. The equation of any parabola is y = ax^2 (with y vertical and x horizontal) and the problem says y = 4 when x = 4 so you can find the value of a.

Your "Ri = 4-Xi" seems wrong - that would be a cone, not a parabola.

In your "W to raise ith layer" you are not using consistent units - you used g in m/s^2.

For part (b), just find the work to pump out the water to depth D (a similar integral to the first part).

Last edited: Dec 30, 2006
  4. Dec 30, 2006 #3
    I see. What do you do with the 'a' if I plug in 4 for both x and y? I get a=1/4, but not sure where to go with that.

I thought of it as a cone, so that was wrong. How would you find the radius then for a parabola?

5. Dec 30, 2006 #4

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You know y = 1/4 x^2, so rearranging that, x = 2 sqrt(y)

Or in words: at height y above the base of the tank, the radius is 2 sqrt(y).

6. Dec 30, 2006 #5
    thanks. But instead of using m/s^2 for acceleration of gravity, what should the units be? The problem uses feet, so is it ft/s^2? ft/h^2? I'm not sure.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?