Problem simplifying a power function derivation

Here is the summary he or she asked for:In summary, the conversation is about finding the derivative of a given function and simplifying it. The solution manual provides both the answer and its simplified form, but the person is struggling with understanding how to go from step three to step four. The attempted solution involves applying the product rule and simplifying the final expression.
(glass/2)=?
Hello All,

I can compute the solution, but I fail to see how it further simplifies into the final expression. The solution manual lists both the answer and its simplified formulation.

How do I go from step three to step four?

Homework Statement

Find the derivative of: f(x) = [itex](2x)^{\sqrt{2}}[/itex]

Homework Equations

[itex]\frac{d}{dx}[/itex]x[itex]^{r}[/itex]=r[itex]^{r-1}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

1) f(x) = [itex](2x)^{\sqrt{2}}[/itex] = ([itex]2^{\sqrt{2}}[/itex])([itex]x^{\sqrt{2}}[/itex])

2) Application of the product rule: g'(x)f(x) + f'(x)g(x)

3) Answer = [itex]2^{\sqrt{2}}[/itex][itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex][itex]x^{\sqrt{2}-1}[/itex]

4) Simplification: [itex]2\sqrt{2}[/itex][itex](2x)^{\sqrt{2}-1}[/itex]

Many Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello if you want us to see your writing you have type[tex] then type in {/tex} but with brackets

mtayab1994 said:
Hello if you want us to see your writing you have type[tex] then type in {/tex} but with brackets

mtayab1994, I don't exactly follow. Do you not see what I've posted? What do you mean by, "your writing"?

Thanks

(glass/2)=? said:
mtayab1994, I don't exactly follow. Do you not see what I've posted? What do you mean by, "your writing"?
I don't know what mtayab1994 was going on about - what you wrote looked perfectly clear to me.

1. How do you simplify a power function derivation?

The process of simplifying a power function derivation involves using the rules of exponents and algebraic manipulation to rewrite the expression in a simpler form. This may include factoring, combining like terms, and simplifying fractions.

2. What are the rules of exponents that are used in simplifying a power function derivation?

The rules of exponents state that when raising a power to another power, you multiply the exponents, when multiplying powers with the same base, you add the exponents, and when dividing powers with the same base, you subtract the exponents. Additionally, any number raised to the 0 power equals 1 and any number raised to the 1 power remains the same.

3. Can you provide an example of simplifying a power function derivation?

Sure, let's say we have the expression (x^2)^3. Using the first rule of exponents, we can rewrite this as x^(2*3) = x^6. This is an example of simplifying a power function derivation by multiplying the exponents.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when simplifying a power function derivation?

One common mistake is to forget to apply the rules of exponents when multiplying or dividing powers with the same base. It's important to carefully check the exponents and make sure they are being correctly combined. Another mistake is to confuse the negative sign in front of a power with the exponent, which can lead to incorrect simplification.

5. Why is simplifying a power function derivation important in science?

In science, power functions often represent relationships between variables and can be used to model real-world phenomena. By simplifying these functions, we can better understand and analyze the relationship between the variables, making it easier to make predictions and draw conclusions from the data.