Effective Voltage Calculation for Inductance Problem

• Thread starter crom1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inductance
In summary, the problem involves finding the effective value of voltage between points 3 and 4 using the formula u_M= M * di/dt, with the given diagram showing the behavior of current i. By applying the formula and plotting the resulting voltage curve, the effective value is determined to be 10V.
crom1

Homework Statement

Find effective value of voltage between points 3 and 4. The diagram on the right shows behaviour of current i.

Homework Equations

[/B]
$$ u_M= M \frac{di}{dt} $$

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I tried with formula above, didn't work for me. I haven't seen how to solve these kind of problems, so can someone give me a direction or a hint?

Attachments

• zadatak.png
    zadatak.png
    37.5 KB · Views: 377
Physics news on Phys.org
You need to show what you've tried, not just said you did. How are we to see where you might have gone wrong if we can't see what you've done? Give us some details.

I never seen this kind of problem before,so I am not sure what to do. If the above formula is supposed to be used, then on the first part of interval (where i is increasing) i get u_m=5V,and on the second part I get u_m=20V but I guess in different direction?
I am not sure what to do with them.

crom1 said:
i get u_m=5V,and on the second part I get u_m=20V but I guess in different direction?
Looks correct to me.
crom1 said:
Find effective value of voltage between points 3 and 4.
Plot the voltage waveform accordingly and find its effective value. Do you know the general formula for finding the rms value?

Likes crom1
crom1 said:
I never seen this kind of problem before,so I am not sure what to do. If the above formula is supposed to be used, then on the first part of interval (where i is increasing) i get u_m=5V,and on the second part I get u_m=20V but I guess in different direction?
You've got the right idea. the quantity ##dI/dt## is a signed quantity. So it'll determine the sign of the voltage at the output. The inductor "dots" are an indication of how the flux linkage between the inductors is oriented with regards to the ends of the inductors. By convention, an increasing current entering into the dot end of one inductor produces a potential across the other inductor which tries to increase the current flowing out of its dot end.

Presumably you're expected to plot the resulting voltage curve?

Likes crom1
Thanks to both of you. I only have to find effective value, and I get the right solution (10V).

What is inductance and why is it a problem?

Inductance is the property of an electrical circuit that causes a voltage to be induced in that circuit when the current through it changes. It can be a problem because it can cause voltage spikes and other undesirable effects.

How does inductance affect electronic circuits?

Inductance can cause voltage spikes, ringing, and other disturbances in electronic circuits. It can also affect the performance and efficiency of electronic components.

What are some common causes of inductance in circuits?

Some common causes of inductance include long wires or traces, high currents, and the presence of magnetic materials near the circuit.

How can inductance be reduced or eliminated?

Inductance can be reduced by using shorter wires or traces, avoiding high currents, and using shielding materials to block magnetic fields. It can also be eliminated by using components specifically designed to mitigate inductance, such as capacitors or inductors.

What are some ways to measure and calculate inductance?

Inductance can be measured using an inductance meter or by using a multimeter in conjunction with known resistors and capacitors. It can also be calculated using formulas such as the formula for the inductance of a solenoid coil.