Problem with learning how to use equations of motion

In summary, the student is struggling with problems involving equations of motion in a Calculus Based physics class. They are looking for suggestions to improve, such as using every equation that comes to mind, counting unknowns and equations, and using dimensional analysis. The student also mentions practicing and developing physical intuition, as well as using the equation Vfx^2 = Vix^2 + 2ax(xf-xi) for cases where time is not given. They ask for specific examples to receive more help.
StingerManB
Here is my problem: I am new to physics all together, NEVER a physics course at all. I am in a Calculus Based physics class, placed there due to the A's I made last semester in calculus (and for other scheduling conflicts)
The problems involving the equations of motion are giving me trouble. Setting up the problems and which equation to use is my biggest problem.
I am just looking for suggestions to help me improve. I have tried to just do more problems, but I get stuck right at the beginning.

Any help at all or suggestions for me?

Physics news on Phys.org
Use every equation that comes to your mind, as long as you know it's right (ie. guess). Count the number of unknowns you have, and count the number of equations. When you have enough equations, solve for the unknowns.

Sometimes it helps to write the same equation in different forms, eg. F=ma=m(dv/dt)=m(d2x/dt2)

A second way is to use dimensional analysis. Look at the dimensions (length, mass, time, etc.) of the unknown, look at the knowns. Put the knowns together in some combination so that their combined dimensions will match the dimensions of the unknown. This will at least give you the form of the equation. This is dangerous, because the answer is not unique - eg. m1/m2 has no dimensions so it can enter in any combination without changing the dimensions of your equation - so you must justify the exact equation properly after using this to guess its form.

As for physical intuition about which equation to use first - practice makes perfect.

Last edited:
Remember to use the equation Vfx^2 = Vix^2 + 2ax(xf-xi) Helpful when you're not given the time.

Also, if you give me some specific examples of what you don't understand, I can help you more.

1. What are equations of motion?

Equations of motion are mathematical formulas that describe the motion of an object in terms of its position, velocity, and acceleration. They can be used to predict the future motion of an object based on its initial conditions.

2. Why is learning equations of motion important?

Learning equations of motion is important for understanding and predicting the behavior of objects in motion, which is essential in many scientific fields such as physics and engineering. These equations also provide a framework for solving real-world problems involving motion.

3. What are the basic equations of motion?

The basic equations of motion are the distance equation, velocity equation, and acceleration equation. The distance equation is d = v0t + (1/2)at2, the velocity equation is v = v0 + at, and the acceleration equation is a = (v - v0)/t.

4. How do I use equations of motion to solve problems?

To solve problems using equations of motion, you need to first identify the known and unknown variables in the problem. Then, choose the appropriate equation(s) to use based on the given information. Finally, substitute the known values into the equation(s) and solve for the unknown variable.

5. What are some common mistakes when using equations of motion?

Some common mistakes when using equations of motion include using the wrong equation for the given problem, not properly substituting values into the equation, and forgetting to include units in the final answer. It is important to carefully read and understand the problem and double check your work to avoid these mistakes.