Problem with model answer to exam

In summary, the student is confused about why the answer to conceptual question number one is different than the answer given in the model solutions. The student also has questions about the conclusion of the problem.
madah12

Homework Statement

http://physics.ku.edu.kw/LectureNotes/TheoryCourses/PHYS102/ExamPapers/y1011-2-md2.pdf

so i just did this exam and they gave us model solutions and I don't agree with conceptual question number 1 the answer should be 2 because it isn't connected to battery therefore voltage should change
and so should electric field
E=(sigma)/k*e_0 , charge is constant k is equal to 2 so it should be halfed
i don't see why they conclude its connected to a battery? it says fully charged so who would connect a fully charged capacitor to a battery also it doesn't say it is connected

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
The energy stored in a capacitor is given by [tex]U_{Stored}=\frac{1}{2}\frac{Q^2}{C}\,.[/tex]

If the charge on the capacitor is constant and some change is made to the capacitor which doubles the stored energy, that implies that the capacitance is halved. To do this by inserting a dielectric can only be done if a dielectric material of K replaces one of 2K . (That would double the electric field.) However, that goes against goes against the gist of the problem, which seems to imply (without stating so explicitly) that the capacitor initially has no dielectric.

This problem seems very confusing.

ok i talked to my instructor and he says we were supposed to infer that it was connected to battery because they said energy increases what do you think?

yeah i guess well I usually hate it if doctors go well this is so obvious if you can't do this then you don't understand anything.

1. What is the problem with using a model answer to an exam?

The main problem with using a model answer to an exam is that it limits critical thinking and creativity. Students are expected to regurgitate information instead of using their own reasoning skills to come up with unique solutions.

2. How does relying on a model answer affect a student's learning?

Relying on a model answer can hinder a student's learning as it discourages them from exploring different approaches and thought processes. It also limits their ability to think outside the box and come up with innovative solutions.

3. Are there any benefits to using a model answer in exams?

There are some potential benefits to using a model answer in exams, such as providing a clear benchmark for students to aim for and ensuring consistency in grading. However, these benefits should be weighed against the potential negative impact on students' critical thinking skills.

4. How can teachers address the problem with using a model answer in exams?

Teachers can address this issue by encouraging students to think critically and rewarding creativity and unique approaches. They can also provide a variety of resources and materials for students to use, rather than relying solely on a model answer.

5. What are some alternative assessment methods to using a model answer in exams?

There are many alternative assessment methods that can be used instead of a model answer in exams, such as open-ended questions, projects, presentations, and collaborative problem-solving activities. These methods allow students to showcase their understanding and critical thinking skills in a more authentic and meaningful way.