Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problem with Path Integral Expressions in Peskin And Schroeder Section 9.1

1. Aug 16, 2009 #1
    Hi again everyone,

I have some doubts about the path integral expressions given in Section 9.1 of Peskin and Schroeder (pg 281 and 282).

For a Weyl ordered Hamiltonian H, the propagator has the form given by equation 9.11, which reads

[tex]U(q_{0},q_{N};T) = \left(\prod_{i,k}\int dq_{k}^{i}\int \frac{dp_{k}^{i}}{2\pi}\right)\exp{\left[i\sum_{k}\left(\sum_{i}p_{k}^{i}(q_{k+1}^{i}-q_{k}^{i})-\epsilon H\left(\frac{q_{k+1}+q_{k}}{2},p_{k}\right)\right)\right]}[/tex]

Now, as the authors point out, for the case when [itex]H = \frac{p^2}{2m} + V(q)[/tex], we can do the momentum integral, which is (taking the potential term out)

[tex]\int\frac{dp_{k}}{2\pi}\exp{\left(i\left[p_k(q_{k+1}-q_{k})-\epsilon\frac{p_{k}^2}{2m}\right]\right) = \frac{1}{C(\epsilon)}\exp{\left[\frac{im}{2\epsilon}(q_{k+1}-q_{k})^2\right]}[/tex]

where

[tex]C(\epsilon) = \sqrt{\frac{2\pi\epsilon}{-im}}[/tex]

Now, I do not understand how the distribution of factors [itex]C(\epsilon)[/itex] equation 9.13 (given below) comes up. To quote the authors:

So, my question is: how did we get this term:

[tex]\left(\frac{1}{C(\epsilon)}\prod_{k}\int\frac{dq_{k}}{C(\epsilon)}\right)[/tex]

PS -- Is it because the momentum index goes from 0 to N-1 and the coordinate index goes from 1 to N-1? The momentum integral product produces N terms, so to write the coordinate integral with the same indexing as before (in the final expression), i.e. k = 1 to N-1, we factor a [itex]C(\epsilon)[/itex] out?

Also, in equation 9.12,

[tex]U(q_{a},q_{b};T) = \left(\prod_{i}\int \mathcal{D}q(t)\mathcal{D}p(t)\right)\exp{\left[i\int_{0}^{T}dt\left(\sum_{i}p^{i}\dot{q}^{i}-H(q,p)\right)\right]}[/tex]

shouldn't we just write

[tex]\left(\int \mathcal{D}q(t)\mathcal{D}p(t)\right)[/tex]

instead of

[tex]\left(\prod_{i}\int \mathcal{D}q(t)\mathcal{D}p(t)\right)[/tex]

since the [itex]\mathcal{D}[/itex] itself stands for [itex]\prod[/itex]?

Last edited: Aug 16, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 16, 2009 #2
    Another query I have concerns the derivation of equation 9.14, which is

[tex]\langle \phi_{b}({\bf{x}})|e^{-iHT}|\phi_{a}({\bf{x}})\rangle = \int \mathcal{D}\phi\exp\left[i\int_{0}^{T}d^{4}x \mathcal{L}\right][/tex]

from

[tex]\langle \phi_{b}({\bf{x}})|e^{-iHT}|\phi_{a}({\bf{x}})\rangle = \int\mathcal{D}\phi\int\mathcal{D}\pi \exp{\left[i\int_{0}^{T}d^{4}x\left(\pi\dot{\phi}-\frac{1}{2}\pi^2-\frac{1}{2}(\nabla\phi)^2-V(\phi)\right)\right]}[/tex]

To quote the authors,

Now, I am a bit confused about the meaning of [itex]\mathcal{D}\phi[/itex] in these two equations. In going from the second equation to the first, we evaluate a Gaussian integral over [itex]\pi[/itex]. What happens to the constant factor that originates from this step?

Specifically,

[tex]\int \exp{(-ax^2 + bx + c)} = \sqrt{\frac{\pi}{a}}\exp{\left(\frac{b^2}{4a} +c\right)}[/tex]

and so

[tex]\int \exp{\int d^{4}x(-a\phi^2 + b\phi + c)} = \sqrt{\frac{\pi}{a}}\exp{\int d^{4}x\exp{\left(\frac{b^2}{4a} +c\right)}[/tex]

4. Aug 18, 2009 #3
    Anyone?

5. Aug 18, 2009 #4

Avodyne

Science Advisor

It gets absorbed into the definition of [itex]{\cal D}\phi[/itex], which changes (by that constant factor) from one equation to the next.

6. Aug 18, 2009 #5
    I see, thanks Avodyne...I just wanted to confirm that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook