1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problem with planck's law

1. Mar 15, 2007 #1
    On the wikipeida page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planck's_law_of_black_body_radiation

two formula's are given for spectral radiance, I(nu, T) and I(lamda,T). However, I(nu, T) seems to have units of J/m^2 and I(lamda, T) seems to have units of J/s/m^3. My homework question is to show that these expression are equivalent, however the fact that the units don't work boggles my mind. Does each expression represent something different? Can someone please shed some light on this?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 15, 2007 #2
    Remember the definitions.
    Remember that for example I(nu,T) gives a density with respect to the frequency scale. The units you have indicated could be seen in another light: W/m²/Hz. I like the "/Hz" units! It is convenient to think that: I(nu,T)*d(nu)*Surface is a power.

Observe that using the same notations for I(nu, T) and I(lamda,T) is not really a good idea because these are different functions, but it is common practice.

4. Mar 15, 2007 #3
    Oh, so I(nu, T) is really I per unit frequency and I(lamda, T) is really I per unit wavelength?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?