1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problem with trigonometry

1. Oct 14, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In a certain collision problem the kinematics are determined by the following three equations:

u=u1cos(@) + SQRT(2) * u2
    u1sin(@)=SQRT(2) * u2
    0.5mu^2=0.5mu1^2 + 0.5(2m)u2^2

Use the first two equations to express u1 and u2 in terms of u, sin(@) and cos(@). Then substitute in the third equation and obtain solutions for sin(@).

2. Relevant equations
    see above

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have that u1=u/(sin(@)+cos(@) and u2=u/(SQRT(2)((cos(@)/sin(@))+1) and substitute those in to the third equation eliminating U and m, but having tried various methods cannot solve the trigonmetry equation. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2009 #2

kuruman

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This equation is confusing. I can divide both side by u2 and get sin(@)=SQRT(2) which can't be true.

4. Oct 15, 2009 #3
    Oops sorry, it should be u1sin(@)=SQRT(2)u2

5. Oct 15, 2009 #4

kuruman

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

OK. Now tell me what the unknown quantities are and what the known quantities are. In other words, we are solving for what in terms of what?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook