Trigonometry Problem: Solving for Unknowns in a Collision Scenario

In summary, the problem involves solving for sin(@) using the three given equations, where u, u1, and u2 are unknown quantities and m is a known quantity. The first two equations can be used to express u1 and u2 in terms of u, sin(@), and cos(@), and then substituted into the third equation to eliminate u and m. However, solving the resulting trigonometric equation for sin(@) has proven difficult.
henryc09

Homework Statement

In a certain collision problem the kinematics are determined by the following three equations:

u=u1cos(@) + SQRT(2) * u2
u1sin(@)=SQRT(2) * u2
0.5mu^2=0.5mu1^2 + 0.5(2m)u2^2

Use the first two equations to express u1 and u2 in terms of u, sin(@) and cos(@). Then substitute in the third equation and obtain solutions for sin(@).

Homework Equations

see above

The Attempt at a Solution

I have that u1=u/(sin(@)+cos(@) and u2=u/(SQRT(2)((cos(@)/sin(@))+1) and substitute those into the third equation eliminating U and m, but having tried various methods cannot solve the trigonmetry equation. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
henryc09 said:
u=u1cos(@) + SQRT(2) * u2
u2sin(@)=SQRT(2) * u2
0.5mu^2=0.5mu1^2 + 0.5(2m)u2^2

This equation is confusing. I can divide both side by u2 and get sin(@)=SQRT(2) which can't be true.

kuruman said:
This equation is confusing. I can divide both side by u2 and get sin(@)=SQRT(2) which can't be true.

Oops sorry, it should be u1sin(@)=SQRT(2)u2

OK. Now tell me what the unknown quantities are and what the known quantities are. In other words, we are solving for what in terms of what?

1. What is trigonometry and why is it important?

Trigonometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with the relationships between the sides and angles of triangles. It is important because it has many real-world applications, such as in engineering, navigation, and physics.

2. What are some common problems that students face when learning trigonometry?

Some common problems that students face when learning trigonometry include understanding the concepts and formulas, applying them correctly, and memorizing the identities and values of trigonometric functions.

3. How can I improve my understanding of trigonometry?

One way to improve your understanding of trigonometry is to practice solving different types of problems and working with different types of triangles. You can also seek help from a tutor or watch online tutorials to clarify any confusing concepts.

4. What are some helpful tips for solving trigonometry problems?

Some helpful tips for solving trigonometry problems include drawing accurate diagrams, using the correct formulas and identities, and checking your work for errors. It can also be helpful to break down the problem into smaller, more manageable steps.

5. How can I apply trigonometry in real life?

Trigonometry has many real-world applications, such as determining the height of a building, calculating distances and angles in navigation, and analyzing the motion of objects. It can also be used in fields such as architecture, surveying, and astronomy.