1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problems about Subspaces

1. Jun 5, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

-Problem number 1

Given the set {u ,v} , where u=(1,2,1) and v=(0,-1,3) in R^3 find an equation for the space generated by this set.

-Problem number 2

The subspace S is defined as S= {(x,y,z) : x + 2y - z =0}
    find a set B={u,v} in R^3 such that each vector in S is a linear combination of vectors in B.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I have no idea how to solve problem number 2.

I don't know how to find an equation for the space in problem one

I started the problem like this (a,b,c) =(1,2,1)x + (0,-1,3)y

and then I found x and y in terms of a and b. but I don't have an idea what is meant to find an equation for the space.

I would appreciate some help, thanks a lot.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 5, 2012 #2
    1. How about su+tv for real s and t?
    2. Find two vectors in the plane. To do this, try z=0, et cetera...

4. Jun 5, 2012 #3
    the answer for the first problem is 7x -3y -z = 0 but I don't know how to solve for that

what do you mean s and t?

5. Jun 5, 2012 #4
    1. s and t would give the parametrized version of the plane. To get the implicit version they give, try the cross product, which gives the normal.

6. Jun 5, 2012 #5

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

If you have three variables and only one equation, you can solve for one variable in terms of the others. For example, if you had x-2y-3z=0, you could solve for x and get x=2y+3z. Now let y=s and z=t, where s and t are your free parameters, so you have
    \begin{align*}
    x &= 2s + 3t \\
    y &= s \\
    z &= t
    \end{align*} Can you see how to write those three equations as one vector equation?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook