Procrastinators Meeting: NOT Postponed

• Thread starter denjay
  • Start date
In summary, the author has been struggling with procrastination for a long time and has recently began to try to fight it. He has found that certain things work to help him stay focused, such as working with other people or having computer-free days. He also tricks himself into staying on task by telling himself that he is only going to take a quick look at a project.
denjay
Going through my academic career the funny little thing called procrastination has gotten in my way more than a few times. I've only recently begun seriously trying to fight it.

One way I have learned through reading is associate your work with something. For example, whenever you do work listen to a specific album, wear a certain shirt, wear a watch or something like that. Whenever you do this thing, you will become more inclined to work. I have not tried this strategy but I'm starting it today!

What things have you procrastinators done to do work around your procrastination?

Physics news on Phys.org
I have several ideas that I plan to try one day.

Never put off until tomorrow the things that you can put off today.

Trading addictions. I've effectively funneled most of my internet goof-off time to this forum. Unfortunately this increased goof-off time (oh well, it's between terms right now).

What really works for me though is to either have computer-free days. The day before I make sure I have all my books in one place and articles printed for the next day.

That and working with other people. I'm not very likely to procrastinate if others are depending on/expecting me (even if it's just me talking about what I have done).

Well...oh I can't be bothered now.

I trick myself.

I tell myself that I am only going to "take a quick look" at some project I need to do (like grading lab reports.) Then once that happens, I say, well, now just grade one of them. Then before I know it, I've graded one and a half lab reports! Time for a break!

Chi Meson said:
I trick myself.

I tell myself that I am only going to "take a quick look" at some project I need to do (like grading lab reports.) Then once that happens, I say, well, now just grade one of them. Then before I know it, I've graded one and a half lab reports! Time for a break!

im too smart to trick myself LOLJK xD

but if i do what u do, i'll be like, "oh, now that I've graded 1 of them, let me reward myself with 2 hours of gaming time" XD

I'm still in the process of fighting procrastination and have no good results...

Chi Meson said:
I trick myself.

I like this a lot actually. Going to try it with my next readings. Of course I'll probably listen to myself saying "take a quick look" and then move on to something else.

I do spend a large amount of time on these forums so I'd like to think it has some positive effect on my procrastination as the subject matter is the same as what I'm working on. I'm probably tricking myself into staying on here and not doing work with that logic though.

1. What is a "Procrastinators Meeting"?

A "Procrastinators Meeting" is a gathering of individuals who struggle with procrastination. It is a place where people can come together to share their experiences, learn strategies for overcoming procrastination, and support one another in their journey to become more productive.

2. Why is the meeting "NOT Postponed"?

The meeting is called "NOT Postponed" as a tongue-in-cheek way of acknowledging the tendency for procrastinators to put things off until later. By declaring that the meeting is not postponed, it is a reminder to attendees to prioritize their attendance and not procrastinate on showing up.

3. Who can attend the meeting?

The meeting is open to anyone who struggles with procrastination, regardless of their profession or background. It is a safe and inclusive space for individuals to come together and support one another in their journey to overcome procrastination.

4. What can I expect from the meeting?

The meeting typically involves a combination of group discussions, activities, and presentations on strategies for overcoming procrastination. It is also a space to share personal experiences and support one another in developing more productive habits.

5. Is there a cost to attend the meeting?

The meeting is free to attend. However, donations are always welcome to cover any expenses for materials or speakers. No one will be turned away due to lack of funds, as the focus is on supporting individuals in their journey to overcome procrastination.