Exploring Subfields of a Field: Product Field

In summary, the conversation discusses proving that KL, the set of all finite sums of elements from subfields K and L, is a subfield of a larger field M/K. The conversation covers potential strategies for proving this, including using the tower law and the second isomorphism theorem. Ultimately, it is suggested to look at injections and use a basis of elements from L to show that they are linearly independent in L as a vector space over the subfield L∩K.
Mathmos6
"Product Field"

Homework Statement

Let K and L be subfields of a field M such that M/K (the field extension M of K) is finite. Denote by KL the set of all finite sums ∑xiyi with xi ∈ K and yi ∈ L. Show that KL is a subfield of M, and that

[KL : K] ≤ [L : K ∩ L].

Homework Equations

[KL : K] etc. is the standard notation for the dimension of KL as a vector space over K (includes infinity).

The Attempt at a Solution

I've done the first part about the subfield fine, it's the inequality I'm struggling with. I've tried using the tower law ([K:M]=[K:L][L:M] where M is a subfield of L is a subfield of K. However, I can't seem to appropriately 'link up' the right subfields to relate the left-hand and right-hand side of the inequality; despite this, since it's an inequality I'm not even convinced the tower law is the right way to go: perhaps there's a nicer way to solve the problem, like finding an isomorphism between KL/K and a subfield of L/(K ∩ L) or something similar - but I have a habit of overthinking things, so maybe I'm overdoing it!

Any suggestions would be muchly appreciated - thanks in advance :)

Physics news on Phys.org

The tower law probably isn't the way to go.

Looking at injections is a good idea. It might help to start with a small step: Can you see why L is a spanning set of vectors for KL over the field K? From there, think about how you could pare that down to a basis, and in particular why the elements of L∩K for the most part will not be included

Office_Shredder said:
The tower law probably isn't the way to go.

Looking at injections is a good idea. It might help to start with a small step: Can you see why L is a spanning set of vectors for KL over the field K? From there, think about how you could pare that down to a basis, and in particular why the elements of L∩K for the most part will not be included

I've just noticed also this looks a lot like the second isomorphism theorem - perhaps another way to go about the problem?

Anyway, i can see why L is a spanning set of vectors for KL over K, and I guess you could use AoC to pick a basis by selecting an element of L at random, then another not in its spanning set over K, then another not in the spanning set of the first 2 elements picked over K, and so on. I'm not completely sure why the intersection won't be included - I can see vaguely that anything in the intersection will have an inverse in K, so can be 'included' in the K-term (i.e. k*1, for some k in K) in any basis expansion, but I don't think I really understand properly. Could you elaborate please? Thanks very much.

Mathmos6 said:
I've just noticed also this looks a lot like the second isomorphism theorem - perhaps another way to go about the problem?

Anyway, i can see why L is a spanning set of vectors for KL over K, and I guess you could use AoC to pick a basis by selecting an element of L at random, then another not in its spanning set over K, then another not in the spanning set of the first 2 elements picked over K, and so on. I'm not completely sure why the intersection won't be included - I can see vaguely that anything in the intersection will have an inverse in K, so can be 'included' in the K-term (i.e. k*1, for some k in K) in any basis expansion, but I don't think I really understand properly. Could you elaborate please? Thanks very much.

You can find a basis of KL over the field K containing only elements in L.

What do those elements do when you just look at them as elements of L over the field L∩K?

Office_Shredder said:
You can find a basis of KL over the field K containing only elements in L.

What do those elements do when you just look at them as elements of L over the field L∩K?

I'm still not completely sure sorry, I'm obviously not getting this :( When you're looking at L over L∩K, the span of your elements will have to be smaller than or equal to the span of those elements over K, but I can't really see how to formulate this idea properly - sorry to keep asking! I'm very new to Galois theory and all I know about it is currently self taught, so unfortunately it's taking me a while from time to time to get my head around things - the help is greatly appreciated.

We're not really interested in the span. We have a basis for KL in terms of elements of only L. I claim those elements are linearly independent vectors in L as a vector space over the subfield L∩K.

Do you see why that would wrap up the proof?

Office_Shredder said:
We're not really interested in the span. We have a basis for KL in terms of elements of only L. I claim those elements are linearly independent vectors in L as a vector space over the subfield L∩K.

Do you see why that would wrap up the proof?

Ah of course, it makes perfect sense when you put it like that :) The argument is fairly simple once you spot it, I was definitely overcomplicating things - thankyou for being so patient!

What is a subfield?

A subfield is a specific area or branch of a larger field or discipline. It focuses on a particular aspect or topic within the broader field.

Why is it important to explore subfields?

Exploring subfields can help expand our understanding of a field and its applications. It allows for a deeper dive into a specific topic and can lead to new discoveries and advancements within the field.

How can one identify and choose a subfield to explore?

One can identify and choose a subfield to explore by researching different areas within the larger field and considering personal interests and skills. Talking to experts and professionals in the field can also provide insight and guidance.

What are some examples of subfields within a product field?

Some examples of subfields within a product field include product design, product development, product management, marketing and branding, and supply chain management.

How can exploring subfields in a product field benefit a business?

Exploring subfields in a product field can benefit a business by providing new ideas for products and services, improving efficiency and productivity, and staying competitive in the market. It can also lead to a better understanding of consumer needs and preferences.