1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Product Rule (Thinking/Inquiry)

1. Sep 27, 2008 #1
    Determine a quadratic funtion [tex]f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c[/tex] who graph passes through the point (2,19) and that has a horizontal tangent at (-1,-8).

My attempt at this solution is:
    [tex]f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c[/tex]
    [tex]f'(x) = 2ax + b[/tex]

LOL its not much but i really have absolutely no idea where to go from here :S

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2008 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Have you tried substituting the given point and tangent point into the equations for f and f' respectively? What do you get if you do that?

4. Sep 27, 2008 #3
    All i know is
    [tex]f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c[/tex]
    [tex]f'(x) = 2ax + b[/tex]
    [tex]f'(-1) = 2a(-1) + b[/tex]
    [tex]f'(-1) = -2a + b[/tex]
    [tex]0 = -2a + b[/tex] @ x = -1
    [tex]0 = 4a + b[/tex] @ x = 2

After that i know i have to find 2 variables (a and b) and then finally find c but before i can do that i have to know what to do with those 2 equations which i dont @_@

5. Sep 27, 2008 #4

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If f(x) passes through (2,19) then f(2)=19 , similarly if f has a horizontal tangent at (-1,-8), then f'(-1)=0 and f(-1)=8....this should give you 3 equations and 3 unknowns a,b,c which you can solve for. Can you take it from there?

6. Sep 27, 2008 #5
    so u are saying:
    [tex]19=4a+2b+c[/tex] for f(2)=19
    [tex]0=-2a+b[/tex] for f'(-1)=0
    [tex]-8=a-b+c[/tex] for f(-1)=8

That also means im solving a system of 3 equations correct ? oh crap... i need to review my basics T_T

7. Sep 27, 2008 #6

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, but do you understand why f(2)=19, f'(-1)=0 and f(-1)=-8? And yes, you will need to solve a system of 3 equations to determine a b and c.

8. Sep 27, 2008 #7
    YAY !! SOLVED IT

I DONT NEED HELP ANYMORE it was so simple............... 3 unknowns 3 equations lol sorry for caps this is so exiciting !!

9. Sep 27, 2008 #8
    and yes i do know why ..... i think if u would so kindly tell me i can verify my thought. Is it because we *neeed* 3 equations and the only ones we know are from those 2 co-ordinates

10. Sep 28, 2008 #9

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, those are not true because you need them.

f(2)=19 is true because you were TOLD that the graph goes through (2, 19).
    f'(-1)=0 is true because you were TOLD that the graph has a horizontal tangent at (-1, -8) and a "horizontal tangent" has slope 0.
    f(-1)= -8 because in order to have a tangent line at all at (-1, -8), the graph must include the point (-1, -8).

The fact that you need three equations to determine the three coeffiencents is why you use them, not why they are true!

11. Sep 28, 2008 #10
    Oh i know that.... i had the grand unification theory in my head. I thought it would be explained in a sentence or so. my bad T_T

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?