Product Rule (Thinking/Inquiry)

In summary, to determine a quadratic function f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c that passes through the point (2,19) and has a horizontal tangent at (-1,-8), the equations f(2)=19, f'(-1)=0, and f(-1)=-8 can be used to solve for the three unknown coefficients a, b, and c.
ghostanime2001
Determine a quadratic funtion [tex]f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c[/tex] who graph passes through the point (2,19) and that has a horizontal tangent at (-1,-8).

My attempt at this solution is:
[tex]f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c[/tex]
[tex]f'(x) = 2ax + b[/tex]

LOL its not much but i really have absolutely no idea where to go from here :S

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you tried substituting the given point and tangent point into the equations for f and f' respectively? What do you get if you do that?

All i know is
[tex]f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c[/tex]
[tex]f'(x) = 2ax + b[/tex]
[tex]f'(-1) = 2a(-1) + b[/tex]
[tex]f'(-1) = -2a + b[/tex]
[tex]0 = -2a + b[/tex] @ x = -1
[tex]0 = 4a + b[/tex] @ x = 2

After that i know i have to find 2 variables (a and b) and then finally find c but before i can do that i have to know what to do with those 2 equations which i don't @_@

If f(x) passes through (2,19) then f(2)=19 , similarly if f has a horizontal tangent at (-1,-8), then f'(-1)=0 and f(-1)=8...this should give you 3 equations and 3 unknowns a,b,c which you can solve for. Can you take it from there?

so u are saying:
[tex]19=4a+2b+c[/tex] for f(2)=19
[tex]0=-2a+b[/tex] for f'(-1)=0
[tex]-8=a-b+c[/tex] for f(-1)=8

That also means I am solving a system of 3 equations correct ? oh crap... i need to review my basics T_T

ghostanime2001 said:
so u are saying:
[tex]19=4a+2b+c[/tex] for f(2)=19
[tex]0=-2a+b[/tex] for f'(-1)=0
[tex]-8=a-b+c[/tex] for f(-1)=8

That also means I am solving a system of 3 equations correct ? oh crap... i need to review my basics T_T

Yes, but do you understand why f(2)=19, f'(-1)=0 and f(-1)=-8? And yes, you will need to solve a system of 3 equations to determine a b and c.

YAY ! SOLVED IT

I DONT NEED HELP ANYMORE it was so simple... 3 unknowns 3 equations lol sorry for caps this is so exiciting !

and yes i do know why ... i think if u would so kindly tell me i can verify my thought. Is it because we *neeed* 3 equations and the only ones we know are from those 2 co-ordinates

No, those are not true because you need them.

f(2)=19 is true because you were TOLD that the graph goes through (2, 19).
f'(-1)=0 is true because you were TOLD that the graph has a horizontal tangent at (-1, -8) and a "horizontal tangent" has slope 0.
f(-1)= -8 because in order to have a tangent line at all at (-1, -8), the graph must include the point (-1, -8).

The fact that you need three equations to determine the three coeffiencents is why you use them, not why they are true!

Oh i know that... i had the grand unification theory in my head. I thought it would be explained in a sentence or so. my bad T_T

What is the product rule in thinking/inquiry?

The product rule in thinking/inquiry is a method used to find the derivative of a product of two or more functions. It states that the derivative of a product of two functions, f(x) and g(x), is equal to the first function, f(x), times the derivative of the second function, g'(x), plus the second function, g(x), times the derivative of the first function, f'(x).

Why is the product rule important in scientific research?

The product rule is important in scientific research because it allows scientists to analyze complex relationships between variables. By understanding how changes in one variable affect the overall outcome, scientists can make more accurate predictions and develop more effective solutions.

How do I apply the product rule in my research?

In order to apply the product rule in your research, you first need to identify the functions that are being multiplied together. Then, you can use the product rule formula to find the derivative of the product. This will help you to better understand the relationship between the variables and make more informed conclusions.

What are some common mistakes when using the product rule?

Some common mistakes when using the product rule include forgetting to apply the chain rule when one or both of the functions have an inner function, mixing up the order of the functions when multiplying, and not simplifying the final answer. It is important to carefully follow the steps of the product rule to avoid these errors.

Can the product rule be applied to more than two functions?

Yes, the product rule can be applied to more than two functions. The general formula for the product rule is d/dx [f(x)g(x)h(x)] = f(x)g'(x)h(x) + f(x)g(x)h'(x) + f'(x)g(x)h(x). This allows for the calculation of the derivative of a product of any number of functions.