Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Production of transuranic elements in Nature

1. Dec 4, 2007 #1
    Hello all
    Just a simple question that intrigue me recently. Some body could explain about how scientists exactly know that transuranium elements cannot be produced naturally in the Universe?

JPAM

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 4, 2007 #2

blechman

Science Advisor

I'm not sure this is right, but I THINK that the reason simply is that it decays too quickly. Plutonium IS created in the natural universe (in large supernovae, etc), but it never goes anywhere before it decays - you wouldn't find it in a planet crust, for example.

4. Dec 4, 2007 #3

vanesch

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

They most probably ARE produced in the universe. We don't find them anymore here on earth simply because if ever they were here, they would have decayed (half life too short). For instance, Technetium has the same problem, although it is not a transuranium element.

5. Dec 4, 2007 #4

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I do an nuclear-astrophysics course now, and yes elements heavier than U is produced in the r-process. But as the others has said, thay have very short half life and another factor is spontatneous fission gets more probable as you go up in A.

6. Dec 20, 2007 #5
    Just because something is 'synthetic' does not necessarily mean it cannot be found in the universe. We created technitium before we discovered it. And we have discovered it, but it is still considered a synthetic element.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?