Find Products of Reaction A-L | Choose from List

• Thread starter Orion78
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reaction
In summary, the conversation discusses the need to find the product/s of a reaction from a list of compounds A - L. The person initially thought the answer was only K, but it appears to be incorrect or that there may be another product to consider. The conversation then provides a hint that Potassium Dichromate is an oxidizing agent used to oxidize alcohols, leading to the product being represented by the letter E, which is a carboxylic acid.
Orion78
I need to find the product/s of a reaction, which has to be chosen from the list of compounds
A - L. I thought the answer was only K but it seems to be wrong or that there is another product to add.

(See the attachment). Thanks!

Attachments

• Screen shot 2012-09-23 at 10.39.17 AM.png
    Screen shot 2012-09-23 at 10.39.17 AM.png
    9.3 KB · Views: 506
Physics news on Phys.org
Orion78 said:
I need to find the product/s of a reaction, which has to be chosen from the list of compounds
A - L. I thought the answer was only K but it seems to be wrong or that there is another product to add.

(See the attachment). Thanks!

How K? What is the action of acidic Potassium dichromate on the alcohol?

HINT: What is Potassium Dichromate is reputed for?

Potassium Dichromate is an oxidizing agent that is used to oxidize alcohols. In this case potassium Dichromate and hydrochloric acid oxidises the alcohol, which is the reactant of the reaction to produce the carboxylic acid, which is characterized by the functional group COOH. The product of my reaction is therefore that one represented by the letter E. Thanks for your hints!

I would suggest double checking the reaction conditions and reactants to ensure that the listed products are the only possible options. If the reaction is carried out under different conditions or with different reactants, there may be additional products that were not initially considered. It may also be helpful to consult a trusted source or literature to confirm the expected products of the reaction. If there is indeed an additional product, it may be necessary to conduct further experimentation or analysis to identify and confirm its presence.

1. What does "Find Products of Reaction A-L" mean?

The phrase "Find Products of Reaction A-L" refers to the process of identifying and determining the chemical compounds that are produced as a result of a specific chemical reaction, where A-L represents a list of reactants. This can help scientists understand the mechanism and outcome of a reaction and its potential applications.

2. How do you choose from the list of products?

The products of a reaction can be chosen by analyzing the reaction conditions, reactants, and potential products based on their molecular structure and reactivity. Additionally, advanced techniques such as spectroscopy and chromatography can be used to confirm the identity of the products.

3. What factors can affect the products of a reaction?

The products of a reaction can be influenced by a variety of factors such as temperature, pressure, concentration of reactants, and the presence of catalysts. The type of reaction, reactant ratios, and solvent used can also play a role in determining the products.

4. How can knowing the products of a reaction be useful?

Knowing the products of a reaction can provide valuable information for various fields of study, including medicine, materials science, and environmental science. It can help in the development of new drugs, understanding the properties of materials, and predicting the impact of chemical reactions on the environment.

5. Can the products of a reaction be predicted?

In some cases, the products of a reaction can be predicted based on the known properties of the reactants and the type of reaction. However, in more complex reactions, it may be necessary to perform experiments and use advanced techniques to accurately determine the products.