Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Professional Organizations

1. Mar 18, 2007 #1

Cod

Does anyone know of any websites that have a list of professional organizations within the engineering and science industry? Particularly, I'm looking for an organization related to physics. I know of the major ones in mathematics (MAA, AMS, etc.) as well as computer science (ACS, etc.), but I don't know any organizations in physics, chemistry, engineering, etc..

Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 18, 2007 #2

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

How about the American Physical Society - www.aps.org[/url] ? Or the American Institute of Physics - [url]http://www.aip.org/[/URL].

Then there are numerous technical socities like

IEEE - [url]www.ieee.org[/url] - Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, Inc.

AIAA - [url]www.aiaa.org[/url] - American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics

ASME - [url]www.asme.org[/url] - American Society of Mechanical Engineers

ASCE - [url]www.asce.org[/url] - American Society of Civil Engineers

SAE - [url]www.sae.org[/url] - Society of Automotive Engineers (which interestingly keeps the AMS specifications)

ASM International - [url]www.asminternational.org[/url] - for materials

TMS - [url]www.tms.org[/url] - The Metallurgical Society - for metals, mining, refining, and processing.

ANS - [url]www.ans.org[/url] - The American Nuclear Society

ASTM - [url]www.astm.org[/url] - American Society for Testing and Materials

I belong to several of them.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2017
  4. Mar 18, 2007 #3
    Physics: American Physical Society (APS), American Nuclear Society (ANS), American Association of Physics Teachers (AAPT), American Association of Physicists in Medicine (AAPM)

Engineering has the IEEE and along with a plethora of societies for different focuses within engineering.

Chem has the American Chemical Society (ACS)- only one I know of.

5. Mar 18, 2007 #4

Cod

Thanks for the direction y'all. Much appreciated!

6. Mar 18, 2007 #5

Pyrrhus

Homework Helper

Astronuc listed some of them, but there are more (AREA, AASHTO, NAPA, NCAT, AISC, ACI, ...).

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook