1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Professional Organizations

1. Mar 18, 2007 #1

Cod

Does anyone know of any websites that have a list of professional organizations within the engineering and science industry? Particularly, I'm looking for an organization related to physics. I know of the major ones in mathematics (MAA, AMS, etc.) as well as computer science (ACS, etc.), but I don't know any organizations in physics, chemistry, engineering, etc..

Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 18, 2007 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

How about the American Physical Society - www.aps.org ? Or the American Institute of Physics - http://www.aip.org/.

Then there are numerous technical socities like

IEEE - www.ieee.org - Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, Inc.

AIAA - www.aiaa.org - American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics

ASME - www.asme.org - American Society of Mechanical Engineers

ASCE - www.asce.org - American Society of Civil Engineers

SAE - www.sae.org - Society of Automotive Engineers (which interestingly keeps the AMS specifications)

ASM International - www.asminternational.org - for materials

TMS - www.tms.org - The Metallurgical Society - for metals, mining, refining, and processing.

ANS - www.ans.org - The American Nuclear Society

ASTM - www.astm.org - American Society for Testing and Materials

I belong to several of them.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2007
  4. Mar 18, 2007 #3
    Physics: American Physical Society (APS), American Nuclear Society (ANS), American Association of Physics Teachers (AAPT), American Association of Physicists in Medicine (AAPM)

Engineering has the IEEE and along with a plethora of societies for different focuses within engineering.

Chem has the American Chemical Society (ACS)- only one I know of.

5. Mar 18, 2007 #4

Cod

Thanks for the direction y'all. Much appreciated!

6. Mar 18, 2007 #5

Pyrrhus

Homework Helper

Astronuc listed some of them, but there are more (AREA, AASHTO, NAPA, NCAT, AISC, ACI, ...).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?