Programatically measure air pressure within a piston

In summary: Typically, pressure sensors are designed to work within a range of 1-10 PSI. They are also accurate to within 1% of the measured pressure.You are looking for a digital pressure sensor that can handle the types of pressure deltas expected?That seems like a pretty general question, without more information it's difficult to say.
Richard Norbron
I am a software engineer. I am working on an experimental project to attempt
to measure in real time the variation in air pressure (relative to the ambient
pressure of the room) in a piston style apparatus. In this model, I am expectant that there will be a measureable change in the internal pressure as the surrounding air is compressed. I am no clearly physician, so looking
to purchase a sensor with a supported SDK. That way I can calibrate the readings
within software and produce a real time graph of the variations resulting
from compressing the space within the cyclinder. I am seeking recommendations
as to the type of sensor readings I would need to measure and an idea of the type
of physical sensor I should be looking to purchase. I am hoping the sensor will
be reasonable in price as this is just an experiment, which might have an actual
real world application. Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.

Physics news on Phys.org
To select a pressure sensor we need information about pressures , temperatures , response rates and means of attachment .

It may be possible to determine what happens in the cylinder theoretically - have you considered this ?

Thanks for response. This is more of a practical experiment than a theoretical one. I am currently investigation various solutions, but am uncertain as to whether the types of gear I am looking at are suitable for application. I read that the atmospheric air pressure is at sea level is defined as 1013 mbar, 101.3 (kPa), 1.013 bar, which is about 14.7 Pounds per square inch (PSI). I need to determine the likely positive and negative delta I could reasonably expect in a cylinder as the air is both compressed to maximum and released as a minimum. I realize this hasn't addressed your questions for which I apologise, but like I said I am working with unknowns at this point. I am wondering if something as simple as this type of sensor would suffice (http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/pressure-sensors/3987045/).

Clearly the example provided is not digital, but you get the idea. Ideally I am looking for a digital sensor that can handle the types of pressure deltas expected and support those readings through an exposed SDK.

You haven't mentioned the range you wish to measure nor the accuracy you want.

The sensor you linked to is a switch, it simply tells you if the pressure is above or below a certain amount (closed/open). From your earlier post I assumed you want to do a pressure reading.

Richard Norbron said:
Thanks for response. This is more of a practical experiment than a theoretical one. I am currently investigation various solutions, but am uncertain as to whether the types of gear I am looking at are suitable for application.
Can you provide more detail about what you are trying to measure, how you are trying to measure it and why? It sounds like you are trying to reinvent the wheel here, but I'm not even really sure of that. I don't want to get into an endless "will this one work?" loop, but there are of course thousands of different pressure measuring devices out there for different purposes.

Even if you have unknowns, you have to be able to put some ballpark numbers out.

What is the purpose of programatically measuring air pressure within a piston?

The purpose of programatically measuring air pressure within a piston is to gather data and monitor the performance of the piston in real-time. This information can be used to optimize the design and functioning of the piston, as well as identify any potential issues or malfunctions.

How is air pressure measured within a piston?

Air pressure can be measured within a piston using a pressure sensor or transducer. The sensor is typically placed within the piston and connected to a data collection system, which can provide accurate and continuous readings of the air pressure.

What factors can affect the accuracy of programatically measured air pressure within a piston?

The accuracy of programatically measured air pressure within a piston can be affected by factors such as temperature, humidity, and external forces. It is important to calibrate the pressure sensor regularly and account for any external factors that may impact the readings.

Can programatically measuring air pressure within a piston improve its efficiency?

Yes, programatically measuring air pressure within a piston can improve its efficiency by providing valuable data that can be used to optimize its design and functioning. By monitoring the air pressure in real-time, any inefficiencies can be identified and addressed to improve the overall performance of the piston.

Are there any safety precautions to consider when programatically measuring air pressure within a piston?

Yes, it is important to follow safety guidelines when programatically measuring air pressure within a piston. This may include wearing protective gear and ensuring that the pressure sensor is properly installed and maintained. It is also important to be aware of any potential hazards or risks associated with the piston and take appropriate precautions.