1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Project that is similar to the coupled pendulum

1. Mar 22, 2005 #1
    I am doing a project that is similar to the coupled pendulum ( (This if you don't know) but with springs instead of pendulum. My problem is that I am required to give background theory and the address of sites I got it from, but I don't know any and all the search engines I have tried seem to have no results. My teacher has never seen anyone do this project this way before and said if worse comes to worse I must roughly use the info on coupled pendulum. But as that goes into the angle of the pendulum (which springs don't have) it doesn't help much. Can you please help as soon as possible (as it is due in soon). Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 22, 2005 #2
    If the spring does not have an angle to it then the system is not very interesting. Two masses that jiggle up and down with a spring between them is just a coupled oscillator.
    http://lectureonline.cl.msu.edu/~mmp/applist/coupled/osc2.htm

On the other hand if there is a angle for the spring the system is more interesting and harder to find information on.

Near the end of the web page there is a problem similar to yours:
    http://webpages.ursinus.edu/lriley/courses/p212/lectures/node5.html

If you do have time you can look up Lagrangian or Hamiltonian dynamics and find the equation of motion.

I did a search on the web for other resources and did not come up with much so if you do not have time for Lagrangian or Hamiltonian dynamics you may be out of luck.

4. Mar 23, 2005 #3
    Help!
    I don't want to create another topic,just for a little need of help.So i decide to post my trouble in this topic.Plz forgive me if you mind.

I have recently done on Theoretical Mechanics.And i find it very hard to solve the problems in this subject (may be it too strange).

So i have to practise more on this subject.And the problem 's i can find any book that contain problems.I have some books but they're too hard for me.
    I'm from Vietnam,it's hard too find a good book in our country.I can only find it on Internet.Can anyone help me???
    Problems,Exercises on Theoretical Mechanics.

Thanks in advance

5. Mar 23, 2005 #4
    "Schaum's Outline of Lagrangian Dynamics" Schaum's Outlines always have many solved example problems and should provide considerable practice for you. This is the first book that comes to mind. I have not used this particular book but have used other Schaum Outline's and was happy with them.

Hope this helps.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?