Project that is similar to the coupled pendulum

In summary, the individual is working on a project involving a coupled pendulum with springs instead of a pendulum. They are struggling to find background theory and resources for this project, as their teacher has not seen it done this way before. They are advised to look into Lagrangian or Hamiltonian dynamics, but if they do not have time, they may be out of luck. The individual is also looking for practice problems and asks for help finding resources on Theoretical Mechanics. A suggestion is made to check out "Schaum's Outline of Lagrangian Dynamics" for solved example problems.
Jonny
I am doing a project that is similar to the coupled pendulum (http://www.her.itesm.mx/academia/profesional/cursos/fisica_2000/FisicaII/PHYSENGL/cpendula.htm but with springs instead of pendulum. My problem is that I am required to give background theory and the address of sites I got it from, but I don't know any and all the search engines I have tried seem to have no results. My teacher has never seen anyone do this project this way before and said if worse comes to worse I must roughly use the info on coupled pendulum. But as that goes into the angle of the pendulum (which springs don't have) it doesn't help much. Can you please help as soon as possible (as it is due in soon). Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
But as that goes into the angle of the pendulum (which springs don't have)
If the spring does not have an angle to it then the system is not very interesting. Two masses that jiggle up and down with a spring between them is just a coupled oscillator.
http://lectureonline.cl.msu.edu/~mmp/applist/coupled/osc2.htm

On the other hand if there is a angle for the spring the system is more interesting and harder to find information on.

Near the end of the web page there is a problem similar to yours:
http://webpages.ursinus.edu/lriley/courses/p212/lectures/node5.html

If you do have time you can look up Lagrangian or Hamiltonian dynamics and find the equation of motion.

I did a search on the web for other resources and did not come up with much so if you do not have time for Lagrangian or Hamiltonian dynamics you may be out of luck.

Help!
I don't want to create another topic,just for a little need of help.So i decide to post my trouble in this topic.Plz forgive me if you mind.

I have recently done on Theoretical Mechanics.And i find it very hard to solve the problems in this subject (may be it too strange).

So i have to practise more on this subject.And the problem 's i can find any book that contain problems.I have some books but they're too hard for me.
I'm from Vietnam,it's hard too find a good book in our country.I can only find it on Internet.Can anyone help me?
Problems,Exercises on Theoretical Mechanics.

Thanks in advance

"Schaum's Outline of Lagrangian Dynamics" Schaum's Outlines always have many solved example problems and should provide considerable practice for you. This is the first book that comes to mind. I have not used this particular book but have used other Schaum Outline's and was happy with them.

Hope this helps.

1. What is a coupled pendulum?

A coupled pendulum is a system of two or more pendulums that are interconnected in some way, such as with a spring or string. As one pendulum swings, it affects the motion of the other pendulums.

2. How is a coupled pendulum different from a simple pendulum?

A simple pendulum has only one mass attached to a string or rod, while a coupled pendulum has multiple masses that are connected in some way. The motion of a simple pendulum is independent, while the motion of a coupled pendulum is dependent on the other masses.

3. What is the purpose of studying a coupled pendulum?

Studying a coupled pendulum can help us understand the principles of oscillation and resonance in a system. It can also be used to demonstrate complex motion and chaotic behavior in physical systems.

4. How does the length of the string or spring affect the motion of a coupled pendulum?

The length of the string or spring can affect the period of the pendulum's motion. Longer strings or springs will result in longer periods, while shorter strings or springs will result in shorter periods. This can also affect the synchronization of the pendulums in the system.

5. Are there real-world applications for coupled pendulums?

Yes, coupled pendulums have various applications in science and engineering, such as in the study of seismology, engineering of bridges and buildings, and even in musical instruments. They can also be used as a model for analyzing the behavior of complex systems in fields such as biology and economics.