1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Projectile: Find range, given two displacement points

1. Mar 4, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A particle is projected with initial velocity [tex]u\cos\alpha\vec{i}+u\sin\alpha\vec{j}[/tex] m/s from a point 0 on a horizontal plane.

If this particle passes through two points whose displacements from 0 are [tex]3\vec{i}+\vec{j}[/tex] and [tex]\vec{i}+3\vec{j}[/tex]

show that the range is [tex]\frac{13}{4}[/tex] and that [tex]\tan\alpha = \frac{13}{3} [/tex]

2. Relevant equations

Range

[tex]\frac{2u^2\sin\alpha\cos\alpha}{g}[/tex]

S, displacement

[tex]S = ut+\frac{1}{2}at^2[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

So, if the initial velocity is [tex]u\cos\alpha\vec{i}+u\sin\alpha\vec{j}[/tex] m/s, then the particle is projected at u m/s at angle [tex]\alpha[/tex] to the horizontal.

Then

[tex]S_x = ut\cos\alpha[/tex]
    [tex]S_y = ut\sin\alpha-\frac{gt^2}{2}[/tex]

and if the displacement points are [tex]3\vec{i}+\vec{j}[/tex] and [tex]\vec{i}+3\vec{j}[/tex], then:

[tex]S_x = ut_1\cos\alpha = 3[/tex]
    [tex]S_y = ut_1\sin\alpha-\frac{gt_1^2}{2} = 1[/tex]

and

[tex]S_x = ut_2\cos\alpha = 1[/tex]
    [tex]S_y = ut_2\sin\alpha-\frac{gt_2^2}{2} = 3[/tex]

I tried solving for the last two pair of equation. For each pair, I eliminated t. So I got two seperate equations in total involving [tex]\alpha[/tex] and u only.

So here is where I'm stuck.
    I tried solving for [tex]\alpha[/tex] and u, but I just...can't!? I have no idea what I'm doing wrong, whether if it's algebraic error, or there's something wrong with the formulas. I've been stuck on this for the 5th hour now, and have redone this millions of times.. But still.. :confused:

I'm beginning to suspect a problem with the question itself! Though I seriously doubt it.. :frown:

Help'd be muchly appreciated!

Thanks in advance..

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 4, 2010 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You are on the right track. Show your pair of equation for u and tan(alpha) to check. I they are right it is easy to eliminate the term containing u and solving for the angle.

ehild

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook