Projectile Motion Help - Find Angle of Elevation for Rajesh

• Thread starter rajesh.msen
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Projectile
In summary, Rajesh is trying to solve projectile motion problems, but is having difficulty because he is not very good at maths and physics. He is looking for help, and has found this thread. He has posted equations for x and y velocity, launch_point, and landing_point, but is looking for advice on how to solve them.
rajesh.msen
Hi to all,
I have a problem in projectile motion.I need the angle of elevation.I know the launch point its greater than the target,I know the destination point where it should land,i know the speed it travels(its option for users to select the speed between (60 - 100),I need the angle of elevation to reach the destination point.
Ex : Angle of elevation differs based on the value of the variable speed.I not good in maths and very new to physics.Any one help me to solve this problem.Even tell me if the solution is not exit.
Help me guys.Thanks in advance.

---Rajesh---

Homework Statement

velocity,launch_point,landing_point

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi Rajesh! Welcome to PF! :wink:

Write equations for the x and y components separately.

For x, remember that the x component of velocity is constant.

For y, use the standard constant acceleration equations. :smile:

Hi Rajesh! :smile:

(btw, no need to PM me … everyone gets automatic email notification of any reply to a thread that they've contributed to :wink:)

The question gives you vi (but not its direction), and x and y.

So call the time t, and call the direction θ, so that the initial components of velocity are vicosθ horizontally and visinθ vertically.

Then use the standard constant acceleration equations for the horizontal direction (a = 0) and the vertical direction (a = -g) separately: that gives you two equations, from which you can eliminate t, so you get one equation for θ. :smile:

FAQ: Projectile Motion Help - Find Angle of Elevation for Rajesh

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the movement of an object through the air or space under the influence of gravity. It is a combination of horizontal and vertical motion, where the object follows a curved path known as a parabola.

2. How do you calculate the angle of elevation in projectile motion?

The angle of elevation in projectile motion can be calculated using the formula: α = tan⁻¹(vy/vx), where α is the angle of elevation, vy is the vertical component of velocity, and vx is the horizontal component of velocity.

3. What is the role of gravity in projectile motion?

Gravity is the force that acts on a projectile and causes it to follow a curved path. It pulls the object towards the ground, affecting its vertical motion, while the horizontal motion remains constant.

4. Can the angle of elevation be negative in projectile motion?

Yes, the angle of elevation can be negative in projectile motion when the object is projected downwards instead of upwards. In this case, the angle is measured below the horizontal line.

5. How does air resistance affect projectile motion?

Air resistance can affect projectile motion by slowing down the object as it travels through the air, causing it to follow a shorter or flatter path. This can result in a shorter range and a change in the angle of elevation needed to achieve a certain distance.

Back