Projectile kinematics sticker for me

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the velocity of an object thrown at an initial horizontal speed after a certain amount of time. The question specifically asks about a calculator thrown at an initial speed of 24m/s and calculating its velocity after 4 seconds. The conversation also mentions the use of kinematic equations and the possibility of gravity affecting the object's motion.
triggerhorse
I know that an object is thrown at a certain initial horizontal speed (m/s). I need to calculate the object's velocity (magnitude and direction) after a certain amount of time (seconds.) How would I do this? What formulas would I use? The actual question is: a calculator thrown at initial horz speed of 24m/s and calculate velocity(mag &direction) after 4 seconds.

Physics news on Phys.org
hi triggerhorse, welcome to PF

generally you have to give an attempt at a solution and people will offer help...

I would start by writing the forces on the calculator

Kinematic equations.. There is no acceleration in this case.

based on the question though i doubt it, i'd assume it experiences gravity... triggerhorse can you elaborate?

lanedance said:
based on the question though i doubt it, i'd assume it experiences gravity... triggerhorse can you elaborate?

But only horizontal velocity is given, I presume its not projectile motion.
Don't think this much data is enough to describe projectile motion.

Thanks for your help so far. I am going to get help at school today.

1. What is a projectile kinematics sticker?

A projectile kinematics sticker is a tool used to analyze the motion of a projectile. It is typically a sticker or decal that can be placed on an object to track its movement and measure various kinematic parameters such as velocity, acceleration, and displacement.

2. How does a projectile kinematics sticker work?

A projectile kinematics sticker works by using sensors or markers to track the position and movement of an object. These sensors or markers can be in the form of magnets, infrared lights, or reflective dots. The data collected by the sticker is then used to calculate the various kinematic parameters of the projectile.

3. What information can be obtained from a projectile kinematics sticker?

A projectile kinematics sticker can provide information on the velocity, acceleration, and displacement of the projectile. It can also be used to calculate the trajectory, time of flight, and maximum height of the projectile.

4. How accurate is a projectile kinematics sticker?

The accuracy of a projectile kinematics sticker depends on the quality of the sensors or markers used, as well as the placement and calibration of the sticker. With proper setup and calibration, a projectile kinematics sticker can provide accurate measurements with an error margin of less than 1%.

5. What are the practical applications of a projectile kinematics sticker?

A projectile kinematics sticker is commonly used in sports science, engineering, and physics experiments to analyze the motion of projectiles. It can also be used in military training for tracking the trajectory of bullets or in video games for motion capture. Additionally, it can be used in real-life scenarios such as analyzing the flight of a baseball or golf ball.