Projectile launched at an angle; dy?

This can be further used to solve for the initial velocity (Vyi) using the equation Vyf2=Vyi2+2ady, and then plugging in the value of dy into the quadratic formula to solve for x (t in the physics equation) and using it in the equation dx=vxt. This lab involves experimenting and testing to prove a hypothesis, and air resistance is not taken into account. In summary, dy should represent the height from the ground to the table in the equation for vertical displacement of a projectile.
Shiz
I have my average dy, but the machine that launched the projectile was placed on the table. So dy in the equation 1/2at2+vyi-dy=0 would be the height from the ground to the table or from the table to the highest point of the parabola? Pick one please. Red or Black for dy? Can you explain why?

From there, I can solve by using Vyf2=Vyi2+2ady for Vyi2. Then I use 1/2at2+vyi-dy=0 in the form of the quadratic formula but the derivation of x. Then I solve for x (which is t in the physics equation) and plug it into dx=vxt.

This lab is one wher we work out the dx and we experiment to see if the experiment proves our hypothesis. Air resistance is not factored in.

Thank you for any help.

Attachments

• graph.JPG
    graph.JPG
    10.6 KB · Views: 397
Physics news on Phys.org
In this case, dy should be the height from the ground to the table. This is because the equation 1/2at2+vyi-dy=0 is a representation of the equation for the vertical displacement of a projectile, where dy represents the starting displacement from the ground. Since the machine was placed on the table, dy should represent the height from the ground to the table.

I would like to clarify that dy in the equation 1/2at2+vyi-dy=0 represents the vertical displacement of the projectile from its initial position. In this case, if the machine launching the projectile was placed on a table, then dy would be the height from the table to the highest point of the parabola. This is because the initial position of the projectile is considered to be at the same level as the machine.

In terms of choosing between red or black for dy, it would depend on the color-coding system used in the experiment. It is important to be consistent and clear with the labeling of variables in any scientific experiment.

Regarding the method of solving for Vyi2 and x, the equations you have mentioned seem to be correct and appropriate for this experiment. However, as a scientist, I would also suggest considering the effect of air resistance on the projectile's motion, as it can significantly affect the accuracy of the results. Perhaps, conducting the experiment in a controlled environment with minimal air resistance would be more ideal.

Overall, the key to a successful experiment is to carefully plan and design it, considering all factors that may affect the results. And as always, it is important to analyze and interpret the data accurately to validate or disprove the hypothesis.

1. What is the equation for the vertical displacement (dy) of a projectile launched at an angle?

The equation for the vertical displacement (dy) of a projectile launched at an angle is dy = v0sinθt - 1/2gt^2, where v0 is the initial velocity, θ is the launch angle, t is the time, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

2. How does the launch angle affect the vertical displacement (dy) of a projectile?

The launch angle affects the vertical displacement (dy) of a projectile by determining the initial velocity and the time the projectile spends in the air. A higher launch angle will result in a greater initial velocity and a longer time in the air, resulting in a greater vertical displacement.

3. What is the relationship between the initial velocity and the vertical displacement (dy) of a projectile launched at an angle?

The initial velocity and the vertical displacement (dy) of a projectile launched at an angle have a direct relationship. As the initial velocity increases, the vertical displacement also increases.

4. How does the acceleration due to gravity affect the vertical displacement (dy) of a projectile launched at an angle?

The acceleration due to gravity affects the vertical displacement (dy) of a projectile launched at an angle by constantly pulling the projectile towards the ground. This acceleration causes the projectile to decrease in height, resulting in a smaller vertical displacement.

5. Can the vertical displacement (dy) of a projectile launched at an angle ever be negative?

Yes, the vertical displacement (dy) of a projectile launched at an angle can be negative if the projectile lands below its initial launch height. This can occur if the launch angle is greater than 90 degrees or if there is a strong downward force acting on the projectile.