1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Projectile motion, 30 and 60 degrees on a level plain

1. Oct 18, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

prove that two bullets fired at 30 and 60 degrees will travel the same distance, and the 60 degree shot will travel 3 times as high as the 30 degree.

2. Relevant equations
    S(displacement) Vo(initial velocity) Vf(final Velovity) t(time) a(acceleration due to gravity)

S=Vot + .5at^2
    S=Vft - .5at^2
    S= (Vft - Vot)/2
    Vf^2= Vo^2 + 2aS
    Vf= Vo +at

3. The attempt at a solution

ive tried numerous ways, but i cant seem to get past point of the final velocity at the peak being zero to solve for time in the last equation...and i cant figure out what to do from there
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 18, 2007 #2
    The motion is in two directions; the x- and y-directions. At the peak the speed in the y-direction is zero, but there is still speed in the x-direction. You need to analyse this problem in two-dimensions.

4. Oct 18, 2007 #3
    Hi

To prove that the 60° shot will travel 3 times as high as the 30°:

You can use the conservation of energy: Kinetic Engergy at the time of the shot equals the potential energy at the peak.

[tex]E_{kin}=E_{pot}[/tex]

For [tex]E_{kin}[/tex] you have to take the angle into account:
    [tex]E_{kin}=\frac{1}{2}*m*v_{0}^{2}*sin(\alpha)^{2}[/tex]

Solve for h (=max height) and compare the values for 30 and 60 degrees.

I hope this helps...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?