Projectile Motion: A boy throw a ball above a barn roof

In summary, a boy attempts to throw a ball over a barn that is 11m high with an initial velocity of 12m/s. The question is to determine the angle at which the ball must be thrown to reach its maximum height, as well as the distance the boy must stand from the barn to make the throw. The attempt at a solution involves using the equations for horizontal and vertical components of displacement, but the missing variable of time causes confusion. However, it is not possible for the ball to reach the maximum height necessary to clear the barn with the given initial velocity.
archcos

Homework Statement

A boy attempts to throw a ball over the roof of a barn 11m high with an initial velocity of vsub0=12m/s. Determine the angle theta, at which the ball must be thrown so that it reaches its maximum height, which is at the roof of the barn. also find x where the boy must stand to make a throw, if the ball is thrown 1m from the ground.

Homework Equations

x=vsub0*costheta*time
y=Vsub0sinetheta*time-1/2 gt^2

or if max height is given 11m maybe, h=vsub0^2sin^2theta / 2g

The Attempt at a Solution

if i use equation for max height I can't get the angle but I am thinking of combining the vertical and horizontal comp of displacement if I could get some hints to solving the angle or maybe the total x distance, but I am stuck with a time missing then made me confused...

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Why can't you find the angle using the max-height formula? It should work.

syntax error for me...i can't get the angle

Why? Show your work so we can see where you're getting stuck.

i get errors here
11=12^2sin^2theta / 2*9.8
11*2*9.8=144sin^2theta
√215.6/144=√sin^2theta
theta=arcsin(1.22) then error

That result (no real solution) indicates it's impossible for the boy to throw the ball over the roof of the barn.

The maximum height the ball could reach occurs if he were to throw it straight up. Try calculating what that is. If it's at least 11 m, there's no possible way for the ball to make it over the barn with that initial velocity.

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion refers to the curved path that an object takes when it is thrown or launched into the air. It is a combination of horizontal motion and vertical motion, and is affected by gravity.

2. How does the height of the barn roof affect the ball's trajectory?

The height of the barn roof will affect the maximum height and distance that the ball can travel. If the roof is lower, the ball will reach a lower maximum height and travel a shorter distance. If the roof is higher, the ball will reach a higher maximum height and travel a longer distance.

3. What factors affect projectile motion?

The factors that affect projectile motion include the initial velocity, angle of launch, air resistance, and the force of gravity. These factors can change the trajectory and distance that the ball will travel.

4. How does air resistance affect projectile motion?

Air resistance can affect projectile motion by slowing down the object as it moves through the air. This can cause the object to fall shorter and not travel as far as it would without air resistance. The effect of air resistance is more noticeable on objects with larger surface areas, such as a ball.

5. Can the ball's horizontal velocity change during projectile motion?

No, the ball's horizontal velocity remains constant during projectile motion as there is no force acting on it in the horizontal direction. This means that the ball will travel at the same speed in the horizontal direction throughout its trajectory.