Projectile Motion and maximum angle

In summary, the problem involves finding the maximum angle above the horizontal at which a projectile can be thrown from a point P while its distance from P is always increasing. The equations for the projectile's motion and distance from origin are given, and the solution involves finding the maximum value for a certain inequality involving the angle, initial velocity, and time. The final answer is obtained by using trigonometric functions and the known values of the variables.
blindside

Homework Statement

A projectile is thrown from a point P. It moves in such a way that its distance from P is always increasing. Find the maximum angle above the horizontal with which the particle could have been thrown. Ignore air resistance.

Homework Equations

[tex]y = v_{0}\sin{(\alpha_{0})}t - \frac{1}{2}gt^2[/tex]
[tex]x = v_{0}\cos{(\alpha_{0})}t[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I've looked around on here and found two threads documenting the same problem, however one was poorly explained (no algebra), and the other was misinterpreted as a range problem.

Distance from origin:

[tex]d(t, \alpha_{0}) = \sqrt{x^2+y^2}
= t\sqrt{v_{0}^2-gtv_{0}\sin{(\alpha_{0})}+\frac{1}{4}g^2t^2}[/tex]

I've tried working from here on paper but really can't get anywhere. Differentiating wrt t gets me an inequality in terms of [tex]\alpha_{0}[/tex], [tex]v_{0}[/tex], [tex]g[/tex] and [tex]t[/tex].. but I don't know where to go from there anyway.

Any help would be appreciated. I have a feeling I'm looking at it the wrong way...

[tex]\frac{\partial d}{\partial t}(t, \alpha_{0}) = \frac{2(v_{0}^2-gtv_{0}\sin{(\alpha_{0})}+\frac{1}{4}g^2t^2)+t(\frac{1}{2}g^2t-gv_{0}\sin{(\alpha_{0})})}{2\sqrt{v_{0}^2-gtv_{0}\sin{(\alpha_{0})}+\frac{1}{4}g^2t^2}} = \frac{2v_{0}^2-3gtv_{0}\sin{(\alpha_{0})}+g^2t^2}{2\sqrt{v_{0}^2-gtv_{0}\sin{(\alpha_{0})}+\frac{1}{4}g^2t^2}}[/tex]

So:

[tex]2v_{0}^2-3gtv_{0}\sin{(\alpha_{0})}+g^2t^2 > 0[/tex]
[tex]\alpha_{0} < \arcsin{\left(\frac{2v_{0}}{3gt}+\frac{gt}{3v_{0}}\right)}[/tex]

Where it's known that:

[tex]v_{0}^2-gtv_{0}\sin{(\alpha_{0})}+\frac{1}{4}g^2t^2 > 0[/tex]

I honestly have no ****ing idea if I'm even close.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]d^2 = x^2 + y^2 = v_{0x}^2 t^2 + v_{0y}^2 t^2 - v_{0y} g t^3 + \frac{1}{4}g^2t^4[/tex]
[tex]\Rightarrow v_0^2 t^2 + \frac{1}{4} g^2 t^4 > v_{0y} g t^3[/tex]
[tex]\Leftrightarrow \frac{v_0^2}{t}+ \frac{1}{4} g^2 t > v_0 cos(\alpha) g[/tex]
[tex]\Leftrightarrow \frac{v_0}{g t}+ \frac{g t}{4v_0} > cos(\alpha)[/tex]
[tex]\Leftrightarrow \alpha < arcos \left(\frac{v_0}{g t}+ \frac{g t}{4v_0}\right)[/tex]

and that has to hold for every v0, alpha and t
not sure about this tho :P

Last edited:
Its amazing how many mistakes you can make typing something like this out in TeX. This question is from a text I use all the time, and it always explicitly states 'in terms of var1, var2...' if the solution is general. It's looking for a numerical angle :/ This leads me to believe I'm looking at this the wrong way.

yeah :)
i am new to TeX too :'( next time i'll do it on paper first! LoL

This is starting to get extremely frustrating...

I find the same solution approaching the problem a different way.

[tex]\vec{r}(t) = (v_{0}\cos{\alpha_{0}}t)\mathbf{\hat{i}} + (v_{0}\sin{\alpha_{0}}t-\frac{1}{2}gt^2)\mathbf{\hat{j}}[/tex]
[tex]\vec{v}(t) = (v_{0}\cos{\alpha_{0}})\mathbf{\hat{i}} + (v_{0}\sin{\alpha_{0}}-gt)\mathbf{\hat{j}}[/tex]

Therefore:

[tex]\vec{r}(t)\cdot\vec{v}(t) = |\vec{r}||\vec{v}|\cos{\phi} = t(v_{0}^2-\frac{3}{2}v_{0}gt\sin{\alpha_{0} + \frac{1}{2}g^2t^2)[/tex]

Projectile is moving away from the origin if the angle [tex]\vec{v}[/tex] makes with [tex]\vec{r}[/tex] is [tex]\pm90\,^{\circ}[/tex], i.e. [tex]\cos{\phi} > 0[/tex] since [tex]|\vec{r}|, |\vec{v}|[/tex] are positive. Since t, v, g, are all known to be positive...

[tex]g^2t^2-3gtv_{0}\sin{\alpha_{0}}+2v_{0}^2 > 0[/tex]

[tex]3gtv_{0}\sin{\alpha_{0}} < 2v_{0}^2+g^2t^2[/tex]

[tex]\sin{\alpha_{0}} < \frac{2v_{0}}{3gt}+\frac{gt}{3v_{0}}[/tex]

Last edited:
Cheers, got it. Shame that thread didn't come up when I searched yesterday :(

Last edited:

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object that is launched into the air and then moves along a curved path under the influence of gravity.

2. How is the maximum angle of a projectile determined?

The maximum angle of a projectile is determined by finding the angle at which the horizontal component of its initial velocity is equal to its vertical component. This results in the maximum range for the projectile.

3. What factors affect the maximum angle of a projectile?

The maximum angle of a projectile is affected by its initial velocity, the force of gravity, and air resistance. A higher initial velocity and a lower force of gravity will result in a larger maximum angle.

4. How does air resistance impact the maximum angle of a projectile?

Air resistance can decrease the maximum angle of a projectile by slowing down its horizontal velocity, resulting in a shorter range. This is because air resistance acts against the motion of the projectile, reducing its overall speed and distance travelled.

5. Can the maximum angle of a projectile be greater than 90 degrees?

No, the maximum angle of a projectile cannot be greater than 90 degrees. This is because a projectile must have a vertical and horizontal component of motion, and an angle greater than 90 degrees would result in a negative horizontal component.