Projectile Motion ball velocity

In summary, the physics student on Planet Exidor throws a ball and its parabolic trajectory is shown. The ball's position is depicted at 1.00 s intervals until t=3.00 s. At t=1.00 s, the ball's velocity is (2.73i+1.78j) m/s. To determine the ball's velocity at t=0.00 s, the launch angle is needed. The attempt to find the angle using the given velocities (at t=1 s) was made, but it was not the same as the launch angle. However, using the fact that the velocity in the y direction is 0 at t=2, the acceleration due to gravity g can be calculated
shrutij

Homework Statement

A physics student on Planet Exidor throws a ball, and it follows the parabolic trajectory shown. The ball's position is shown at 1.00 s intervals until t=3.00 s. At t=1.00 s, the ball's velocity is v=(2.73i+1.78j) m/s. Determine the ball's velocity at t=0.00 s. (Enter your answer in component form. Input the x-component first, followed by the y-component.)
http://capa.physics.mcmaster.ca/figures/kn/Graph06/kn-pic0608.png

Homework Equations

I know that v0x=vcos∅ and v0y=vsin∅

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure how to begin without being provided with the launch angle. I tried to find the angle using the given velocities (at t=1 s), using tan-1= vy/vx=1.78/2.73, which gave me 33.1. But this angle, at t=1, will not be the same as the launch angle, right?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
From the diagram you know that the velocity in the y direction is 0 at t=2
You can you this to work out the acceleration due to gravity g from which you can find the y component of velocity at t=0

I'm not sure what you meant about working out the acceleration due to gravity, but I used the fact that Vy =1.78 at 1 sec to find the y component of velocity at t=0. So, I did V0y=Vy-at
=1.78- (-9.8) (1)=11.58 m/s
Am i on the right track? How would i go about finding the acceleration in the x direction to do the same for v0x?
Thanks!

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the movement of an object through the air under the influence of gravity. It is a combination of horizontal and vertical motion, with the force of gravity pulling the object downwards.

2. What factors affect the velocity of a ball in projectile motion?

The velocity of a ball in projectile motion is affected by the initial speed of the ball, the angle at which it is thrown, the air resistance, and the force of gravity.

3. How can the velocity of a ball in projectile motion be calculated?

The velocity of a ball in projectile motion can be calculated using the equation v = v0 + at, where v is the final velocity, v0 is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration due to gravity, and t is the time elapsed.

4. What is the maximum height reached by a ball in projectile motion?

The maximum height reached by a ball in projectile motion is determined by the initial velocity and the angle at which it is thrown. It can be calculated using the equation h = (v0^2 * sin^2θ) / 2g, where h is the maximum height, v0 is the initial velocity, θ is the angle, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

5. How does the weight of a ball affect its velocity in projectile motion?

The weight of a ball does not directly affect its velocity in projectile motion. However, a heavier ball may experience greater air resistance, which can decrease its velocity over time.