Projectile Motion Calculation: Finding the Landing Distance of a Launched Object

  • Thread starter Thread starter physicsnobrain
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Projectile
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
physicsnobrain
Messages
123
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A 500kg object is launched from the top of a 12m building with intial speed of 5.2m/s and angle of 38degrees. How far away does object land?

Homework Equations


y=vit + 1/2at^2
quadratic formula
d=vt

The Attempt at a Solution


first i separate the initial velocity into its x and y coordinates. Using cos and sin. Next I input this found value of the y direction velocity into the y=vit + 1/2at^2. I rearrange this formula and solve it as a quadratic for time, and I use the positive time value which I got as 1.92s. Next I multiply this time value by the velocity in the x direction I got from doing the cos of the initial velocity.

I end up getting the object lands 7.9 m away from the building. Can anyone check and see if this is right? Also the mass was negligble right?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Your method is correct.

If you want your numbers to be checked, post the intermediate values you got (init. velocity components, time of flight).
 
voko said:
Your method is correct.

If you want your numbers to be checked, post the intermediate values you got (init. velocity components, time of flight).

Well the initial velocity was 5.2m/s. The y component of this is 3.2m/s, and the x component is 4.097 m/s.

When I solve for time from the quadratic formula, I get -1.272s and 1.923s. I use the positive value cause you can't have negative time.

Now I just multiply the time by the x component velocity and get 7.9m.
 
Everything looks good.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person