Projectile Motion diving board

In summary, the problem involves a person jumping off a diving board with a horizontal velocity of 1.81 and landing in the water 1.4 seconds later. Using the kinematic equation -y = vit - 0.5gt^2, the person must find the height of the platform. After some calculations, the person concludes that the platform is 9.604 meters high. The person also asks for help with another problem in a different post.
Londoncalling

Homework Statement

You jump off a diving board with a horizontal velocity of 1.81 and land in the water 1.4 seconds later. Gravity=9.8. How high is this platform?

Homework Equations

x=2.534, if that helps.

The Attempt at a Solution

I got 7.07 but this is not right...

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Londoncalling, welcome to PF.
What is the velocity in the vertical direction? What is the kinematic equation, which relates the initial velocity, time , acceleration and displacement?

y=vit-.5gt2 right?
I'm not sure though, we haven't learned it yet.

In the vertical direction the initial velocity is ...?
Your equation is right. But put -y for the displacement because it is also in the downward direction like g.

Okay so -y=vi -.5*9.8*1.42.
Then -y=vi*1.4-(4.9*1.96)
-y=vi*1.4-(9.604)
But there are 2 variables and only one equation... I thought you couldn't do that...?

Or is your horizontal v of 1.81 the initial velocity?

The vertical velocity is zero.

So it's 9.604 m high then?
Edit: Yes, I got it right! Thank you SO much, you have no idea how relieved I am. Would you be able to help me with another problem (it's in a different post)...?

Related to Projectile Motion diving board

1. What is projectile motion on a diving board?

Projectile motion on a diving board refers to the curved path that a diver takes when jumping off a diving board into the water. This motion is caused by the force of gravity and the initial velocity of the diver.

2. How does the height of the diving board affect projectile motion?

The height of the diving board affects projectile motion by increasing the height from which the diver jumps, thus increasing the initial velocity and ultimately the distance the diver travels in the air. A higher diving board will also result in a steeper angle of descent, creating a more dramatic arc in the diver's trajectory.

3. What factors can affect projectile motion on a diving board?

There are several factors that can affect projectile motion on a diving board. These include the height of the diving board, the initial velocity of the diver, the angle of the diving board, air resistance, and the mass and shape of the diver's body.

4. How can the angle of the diving board affect projectile motion?

The angle of the diving board can affect projectile motion by changing the direction of the initial velocity of the diver. A steeper angle of the diving board will result in a shorter horizontal distance traveled and a higher angle of descent, while a shallower angle will result in a longer horizontal distance and a lower angle of descent.

5. Why is understanding projectile motion important for divers?

Understanding projectile motion is important for divers because it allows them to predict and control their movements in the air, which can greatly impact the success and safety of their dive. By understanding the factors that affect projectile motion, divers can adjust their technique to achieve their desired trajectory and entry into the water.