How Can Theta Be Integrated into the Projectile Motion Equation?

In summary: Since the y component is also a function of the time, you can integrate both the x and y components to get an equation that includes the time.
chillb0y
Projectile Motion Derivation

Homework Statement

I am supposed to derive an equation that ends up giving me a solution for the initial muzzle velocity of the projectile launcher. I am given different sets of theta and the recorded distance for the x distances. The height of the projectile launcher is also .25m.

Homework Equations

I used dx = Vixt, dy = viyt2 + (1/2)at2 to somewhat isolate the Vix and Viy variables.

The Attempt at a Solution

After isolating the variables, I plugged them into the a2 + b2 = c2 formula (cause the two components form a right angle to find the overall velocity)

i got this equation..

sq((dx2 + (dy-(1/2)at2)2)/t2) = Vi

the thing I am frustrated atm is that I am supposed to integrate theta into the equation but I cannot find a way to do this. it seems like the only varying variable would be dx, but now that i look at it again t should be a varying variable as well? and dy? so now it's more of a mess than an equation.

would love help, this has been giving me a headache for a while.

*edit: if it helps i calculated that a projectile i nthe projectile launcher is in there for only .224s.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
ok after some more analysis i figured out the velocity of the x component all the time (6.84m/s). now having ViX i need to derive a formula so i can use the time from the dy axis and plug it into the dx=vixt

somewhat like this

dy = viyt + .5at2
dx = vixt

Viy = tan theta vix (i am given vix and theta)

ok i think i got it

solve for Dx

dy = (tan theta vix)(dx/vix) - (g/2)(dx/vix)2

tell me projectile motion equationsin 3d

Hints:

1. The velocity in the x direction is constant. So if you know the time of flight, you can determine the distance as a function of the x component of initial velocity.

2. You have two unknowns in the above. They are initial velocity and time.

3. Come up with another equation that will have both unknowns present. To do this, work with the y directon.

Question 1: What is the equation for projectile motion?

The equation for projectile motion is y = y0 + v0y * t + 1/2 * a * t^2, where y is the vertical position, y0 is the initial vertical position, v0y is the initial vertical velocity, t is time, and a is the acceleration due to gravity.

Question 2: How do you calculate the horizontal distance traveled in projectile motion?

The horizontal distance traveled in projectile motion can be calculated using the equation x = x0 + v0x * t, where x is the horizontal position, x0 is the initial horizontal position, v0x is the initial horizontal velocity, and t is time.

Question 3: What is the initial velocity in projectile motion?

The initial velocity in projectile motion is the velocity at which the object is launched or thrown. It has both a horizontal and vertical component, represented by v0x and v0y in the equations.

Question 4: How does air resistance affect projectile motion?

Air resistance can affect projectile motion by slowing down the object and changing its trajectory. This can be accounted for by adding a drag force term in the equations for vertical and horizontal motion.

Question 5: Can the projectile motion equation be used for curved paths?

Yes, the projectile motion equation can be used for curved paths as long as the acceleration remains constant and there is no external force acting on the object. However, for more complex curved paths, other equations may be needed.