Projectile Motion. Find where it lands.

In summary: Once you have that, you can use the constant horizontal velocity to find the distance (horizontal component of position) traveled.
TcWhistler

Homework Statement

Brett bowls a cricket ball at 144km/h. He releases it at 6 degrees below the horizontal from a height of 2.4m.
How far down the pitch does the ball land?
Here is a bad picture of it. http://img822.imageshack.us/i/physics.png/

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know I have to change km/h to m/s
So, 144km/h = 40m/s

Horizontal Component = 40 cos (6) = 39.72 m/s
Vertical Component = 40 sin (6) = 4.18 m/s
Here is a pic of it all together.
http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/556/physics3.png

Now I have no idea where to go from here. Can some guide me on the next step? or If I have done anything wrong.----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Also I do have another question, which isn't on the subject but I think it has a quick answer.

A parcel is dropped from an aeroplane to a boat at sea. The plane is flying at a speed of 100m/s at a fixed altitude of 120m above sea level.
From what time the moment that it is released, does it take for the parcel to hit the water?

http://www.scientificpsychic.com/mind/lean1.html
Theres how to work it out. But I don't understand how we got from
distance = 1/2 × acceleration × time2 + intial speed × time
to
time2 = (2 × distance) / acceleration

How did the 2 x come in?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
How did the 2 x come in?
It is not 2x, it is two times distance.
In the first problem, using initial velocity as 40sin(6), vertical displacement as 2.4 m, find time to reach the ball to the ground.
Then vcos(6)*t will give you length of the pitch..

rl.bhat;3138511 In the first problem said:
Thanks, I am still a bit lost. Since I have only started projectile motion

40*Sin(6) = 4.18 ms
Vertical Displacement = 2.4 m

I don't know what equation to use to find the time.

Somewhere in your textbook or notes you will have a general equation of motion that expresses total distance in terms of initial distance, velocity, acceleration, and time. That would be a good place to start. Be sure to take care in assigning directions (signs) to things -- pick a coordinate system and stick with it.

gneill said:
Somewhere in your textbook or notes you will have a general equation of motion that expresses total distance in terms of initial distance, velocity, acceleration, and time. That would be a good place to start. Be sure to take care in assigning directions (signs) to things -- pick a coordinate system and stick with it.

So far what I found was. V = U at

Keep looking. You should have something that looks similar to:

d(t) = do + vot + (1/2) a t2

:/ Hmm I can't find anything, I am totally lost..

Well, it'll be there somewhere, perhaps disguised by using different variable names.

For now, take it as given. The equation describes the total distance traveled over time t for a body that has an initial distance do, an initial velocity vo, and undergoing acceleration a.

In your case this would apply to the vertical component of the motion of the cricket ball. The horizontal motion is independent of the vertical motion, and is simply a constant horizontal velocity.

So, given your initial height (do), initial vertical velocity (vo, watch the sign!) and the acceleration due to gravity (a = -g; - because it's directed downwards), solve for the time (t) when the ball hits the ground.

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air or space under the influence of gravity. It follows a curved path called a trajectory.

2. How is the trajectory of a projectile calculated?

The trajectory of a projectile is calculated using the equations of motion, which take into account the initial velocity, angle of launch, and acceleration due to gravity.

3. How does air resistance affect projectile motion?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can affect the trajectory of a projectile by slowing it down and altering its path. This is more significant for objects with a large surface area and slower speeds.

4. Can the landing point of a projectile be predicted accurately?

Yes, the landing point of a projectile can be predicted accurately using the equations of motion and taking into account factors such as air resistance and external forces acting on the object.

5. What factors can affect the landing point of a projectile?

The landing point of a projectile can be affected by factors such as initial velocity, angle of launch, air resistance, external forces, and the height at which the object is launched.