1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Projectile Motion from a height

1. Dec 3, 2008 #1
    A projectile is shot at a 35 degree angle from a height of 900 m. The it lands 2500 m away vertically. What was the initial velocity of the launch?

I do not know what relevant equations to use- I've tried using the integrals of position vectors like Vox(t) = 2500 m and Voz(t) - 1/2 gt^2 = 900 m, but I don't know how to solve this without knowing the time of flight.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 3, 2008 #2

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You can do this without calculus.

HINT:

Use the kinematic equations and set up equations the motion in both the x and y directions. This should give you enough equations to eliminate time from the problem and solve for the initial velocity.

4. Dec 3, 2008 #3
    Do I use the kinematic equations Vo= at and x= .5Vo(t)?

5. Dec 3, 2008 #4
    Since I'm given an angle, I feel like I should be using trig. Is there some way I can involve trig in the kinematic equations?

6. Dec 3, 2008 #5
    OK, I have figured out what I need to do, but need help with the math!

I need to solve for t in the 2 eqs: 2500 = Vocos35t and 900 = (Vosin35 - 4.9t)(t) and then set the equations equal to solve for Vo. But in the second equation, how do I solve for t?!

7. Dec 4, 2008 #6

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

In the second equation you have a quadratic (Bring all terms to one side of the equation). You need to use the quadratic formula to solve for t.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?