What is the optimal angle for maximum range in projectile motion?

In summary, the conversation discusses a golfer hitting a ball with a speed of 30.3 m/s and the time it spends in the air before landing on the green. The equation T=(Vo-V)/g is used to find the time and a right triangle is drawn to determine the angle for maximum range. The equation y=y_0 +v_y t -\frac{1}{2}gt^2 is also mentioned to find the time when y=0. The conversation ends with a question about the maximum range and the corresponding angle.
Sesner09
Hello, I am having trouble with the question below..

1. A golfer imparts a speed of 30.3 m/s to a ball, and it travels the maximum possible distance before landing on the green. The tee and the green are at the same elevation. A) How much time does the ball spend in the air? b) what is the longest "hole in one" the golfer can make if the ball doesn't roll?

2. right triangle, T=(Vo-V)/g, for b i know the eqn is x= Vx*t

3. i made a right triangle with the right angle on the bottom right. i made the hypotenuse 30.3 m/s. I believe the equation to find time is T=(Vo-V)/g. How would i find the time?

thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
use

[tex]y=y_0 +v_y t -\frac{1}{2}gt^2[/tex]

at what angle must the golfer hit the ball to get the maximum range?

it doesn't give an angle, would y(the height) be 0 since it is not changing elevation?

Sesner09 said:
it doesn't give an angle, would y(the height) be 0 since it is not changing elevation?

yes it would so your equation is y=vyt-(1/2)gt2 and you want to find when y=0

also it said it hit it to the maximum range, so there is only one angle the max range can be achieved, do you know what this angle is?

the only angle it gives is 90°, so 90?, i got 90 from the triangle that i drew..
the problem that i keep running into is that i get 0=30.3 m/s(t) - (1/2)(-10 m/s^2)(t^2)... and that gives me t=0

Last edited:
Sesner09 said:
the only angle it gives is 90°, so 90?, i got 90 from the triangle that i drew..
the problem that i keep running into is that i get 0=30.3 m/s(t) - (1/2)(-10 m/s^2)(t^2)... and that gives me t=0

if the range is given by

[tex]R=\frac{v^2 sin 2\theta}{g}[/tex]

for what angle is R maximum for?

1. What is projectile motion and how does it apply to a golf ball?

Projectile motion refers to the motion of an object that is launched or thrown into the air and moves under the influence of gravity. It applies to a golf ball because when it is hit by a golf club, it follows a curved path as it moves through the air due to the force of gravity.

2. What factors affect the trajectory of a golf ball during projectile motion?

The factors that affect the trajectory of a golf ball during projectile motion include the initial velocity, launch angle, air resistance, and the force of gravity. The initial velocity and launch angle determine the direction and speed of the ball, while air resistance and gravity affect its path and speed.

3. How does the surface of the golf ball affect its projectile motion?

The surface of a golf ball can affect its projectile motion in several ways. A smooth surface can reduce air resistance and allow the ball to travel farther, while a dimpled surface can create turbulence and lift, increasing the distance the ball can travel. The surface can also affect the spin of the ball, which can impact its trajectory.

4. Can the force of gravity ever be completely eliminated in projectile motion?

No, the force of gravity cannot be completely eliminated in projectile motion. The only way to negate the effects of gravity would be to launch the golf ball at a speed that could counteract its downward force, but this is not physically possible. Gravity will always influence the trajectory of the ball during its flight.

5. How can understanding projectile motion help improve a golfer's game?

Understanding projectile motion can help a golfer improve their game by allowing them to predict the trajectory of the ball and make adjustments to their swing accordingly. By understanding how factors like initial velocity and launch angle affect the ball's flight, a golfer can make more accurate shots and potentially achieve longer distances on the course.