Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Projectile Motion - Incline Plane

1. Oct 22, 2006 #1
    A person stands at the base of a hill that is a straight incline making an angle x with the horizontal. For a given initial speed v, at what angle y (to the horizontal) should objects be thrown so that the distance d they land up the hill is as large as possible?

I realise that tan x = vertical displacement/horizontal displacement, and d^2=horizontal distance^2+vertical distance^2. But no matter how do I manipulate the equation, it seems that I can't get rid of the variable t. Any help would be aprreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2006 #2
    You don't say enough about what you have done for me to figure out where you are in solving this problem.

The objects will follow a parabolic trajectory (I'm sure you know this). So perhaps starting with that would be a good first step.

Dorothy

4. Oct 22, 2006 #3

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you write your usual equations for your horizontal(dx) and vertical(dy) components in you should have something of the form;

[tex]d_{x}=v_{i}\cos(x)t[/tex]

Do the same for your vertical component. You now have two functions of time. Also note that;

[tex]d_{x}=d\cos(y)[/tex]

and

[tex]d_{y}=d\sin(y)[/tex]

You should then equate the appropriate formulae and then manipulate your horizontal displacement into some of the form t=.... Can you go from here and figure out the last step yourself?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook