1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Projectile Motion - Incline Plane

1. Oct 22, 2006 #1
    A person stands at the base of a hill that is a straight incline making an angle x with the horizontal. For a given initial speed v, at what angle y (to the horizontal) should objects be thrown so that the distance d they land up the hill is as large as possible?

I realise that tan x = vertical displacement/horizontal displacement, and d^2=horizontal distance^2+vertical distance^2. But no matter how do I manipulate the equation, it seems that I can't get rid of the variable t. Any help would be aprreciated.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2006 #2
    You don't say enough about what you have done for me to figure out where you are in solving this problem.

The objects will follow a parabolic trajectory (I'm sure you know this). So perhaps starting with that would be a good first step.

4. Oct 22, 2006 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you write your usual equations for your horizontal(dx) and vertical(dy) components in you should have something of the form;

Do the same for your vertical component. You now have two functions of time. Also note that;

You should then equate the appropriate formulae and then manipulate your horizontal displacement into some of the form t=.... Can you go from here and figure out the last step yourself?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?