Projectile Motion Problem with spitting a seed

In summary, the conversation discusses the record for spitting a watermelon seed and the attempt to calculate the initial velocity of the seed based on the given information. The equations used are basic kinematic equations and the solution involves finding the flight time using the vertical displacement and then solving for the initial velocity using the horizontal displacement. The final answer obtained is 26.0 m/s.
cmh_580

Homework Statement

The record for spitting a watermelon seed by a man is 68.75 feet. Assuming he spat at an angle of 45.0 degrees and from an initial height of 1.50 meters above the ground, how fast did he spit the seed out of his mouth. (neglect any air resistance)

Homework Equations

The only equations I know are basic kinematic equations. No mass/force stuff. Some of the equations we use are:
d-d0 = V0t + 1/2at^2
V = V0 + at
V^2 = V0^2 + 2a(d-d0)

That's pretty much it. The 0's should be subscripts, but I don't know how to do that.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to solve for the time it takes to reach its max height (t=(V0sin45)/(a)), but from there I am stuck.
For the time it takes to go down from its max height, I know what V0 is and I know what a is, but that's it, so I don't know how to solve for that. I think if I'm going to get initial velocity I first need 3 other variables. And unless I get time, I can't have 3, right?

I don't just want the answer, because that doesn't really help me at all. A simple explanation (I've only been in Physics for less than 4 months) would be very helpful.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
cmh_580 said:

Homework Statement

The record for spitting a watermelon seed by a man is 68.75 feet. Assuming he spat at an angle of 45.0 degrees and from an initial height of 1.50 meters above the ground, how fast did he spit the seed out of his mouth. (neglect any air resistance)

Homework Equations

The only equations I know are basic kinematic equations. No mass/force stuff. Some of the equations we use are:
d-d0 = V0t + 1/2at^2
V = V0 + at
V^2 = V0^2 + 2a(d-d0)

That's pretty much it. The 0's should be subscripts, but I don't know how to do that.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to solve for the time it takes to reach its max height, but from there I am stuck.
For the time it takes to go down from its max height, I know what V0 is and I know what a is, but that's it, so I don't know how to solve for that. I think if I'm going to get initial velocity I first need 3 other variables. And unless I get time, I can't have 3, right?

I don't just want the answer, because that doesn't really help me at all. A simple explanation (I've only been in Physics for less than 4 months) would be very helpful.
Welcome to Physics Forums.

A good place to start would be to calculate the total flight time, that is the time taken for the seed to reach it's maximum height and fall back to earth. Can you do that? Note that the initial and final heights are not the same.

Hint: The vertical and horizontal components of the motion are independent, which means you can consider the vertical motion of the speed whilst ignoring the horizontal motion (or vis versa).

I don't know how to solve for the time for it to fall back to earth. If I only have two variables then I'm not sure how to do it. In order to solve for time I would also need to know either the final velocity or the vertical displacement, and I have neither of those. The vertical displacement would be the distance to the top plus 1.5 meters, but I don't know what the distance to the top is.

cmh_580 said:
I don't know how to solve for the time for it to fall back to earth. If I only have two variables then I'm not sure how to do it. In order to solve for time I would also need to know either the final velocity or the vertical displacement, and I have neither of those. The vertical displacement would be the distance to the top plus 1.5 meters, but I don't know what the distance to the top is.
But you do have the vertical displacement! What is the seed's initial [vertical] position (d0)? What is it's final [vertical] position (d)?

So the vertical displacement would be only -1.5m? But that doesn't account for when it went up in the air and came back down does it?

cmh_580 said:
So the vertical displacement would be only -1.5m? But that doesn't account for when it went up in the air and came back down does it?
Correct! No, it doesn't account for the fact that it went upwards first, but the initial velocity does :wink:

On a side note you will obtain two flight times, only one will correspond to the problem in hand. The other will be s spurious solution corresponding to the section of the parabola for negative time.

Okay, so here's what I did. Assuming the following:
vertical acceleration = -9.81 m/s^2
initial vertical velocity = V0sin45 m/s
vertical displacement = -1.5 m

horizontal acceleration = 0 m/s^2
initial horizontal velocity = V0cos45 m/s
horizontal displacement = 68.75 m

Okay, so using the horizontal numbers I can put t in terms of V0:
d-d0 = V0t (a=0, so that cancels out the other part)
t=(d-d0)/(V0)
t=(68.75)/(V0cos45)

So that's t, which is the same for both vertical and horizontal

From there, I put that t into the equation:
d-d0 = V0t + 1/2at^2
using the vertical numbers for those variables, I came up with this
-1.5 = (V0sin45)*(68.75/V0cos45) + 1/2(-9.81)((68.75/V0cos45)^2)

After multiplying/dividing out the numbers that I could, I was left with this:
(V0cos45)^2 = 330.0183496
Finding the square root of both numbers, I got
V0cos45 = 18.16641
Then, after dividing by cos45 (.707), I got
V0 = 25.69179 m/s, which would reduce to 25.7 based on sig figs.

Please tell me this is right, if not, where did I go wrong?

I have V0 = 26.0 m/s to 3sf.
cmh_580 said:
Okay, so here's what I did. Assuming the following:
vertical acceleration = -9.81 m/s^2
initial vertical velocity = V0sin45 m/s
vertical displacement = -1.5 m

horizontal acceleration = 0 m/s^2
initial horizontal velocity = V0cos45 m/s
horizontal displacement = 68.75 m

Okay, so using the horizontal numbers I can put t in terms of V0:
d-d0 = V0t (a=0, so that cancels out the other part)
t=(d-d0)/(V0)
t=(68.75)/(V0cos45)

So that's t, which is the same for both vertical and horizontal

From there, I put that t into the equation:
d-d0 = V0t + 1/2at^2
using the vertical numbers for those variables, I came up with this
-1.5 = (V0sin45)*(68.75/V0cos45) + 1/2(-9.81)((68.75/V0cos45)^2)
You're good up to here. I'm not sure whether you've made an algebraic slip, or have simply rounded too early.

I did it again and still got 25.7. Either way, at least I know I'm doing it right. Thanks a lot for the help.

1. What is projectile motion and how does it relate to spitting a seed?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object in a curved path due to the influence of gravity. In the case of spitting a seed, the seed is launched into the air with an initial velocity and then follows a curved path due to the pull of gravity.

2. How is the initial velocity of the seed determined when spitting?

The initial velocity of the seed is determined by the force and angle at which it is expelled from the mouth. The harder the force and the higher the angle, the greater the initial velocity will be.

3. What factors affect the trajectory of the seed when spitting?

The trajectory of the seed is affected by several factors, including the initial velocity, angle of launch, air resistance, and gravity. Wind speed and direction can also play a role in altering the trajectory of the seed.

4. Can the trajectory of the seed be predicted accurately?

While the trajectory of the seed can be predicted with mathematical equations, it may not always be accurate due to external factors such as wind and air resistance. However, with precise measurements and calculations, the trajectory can be predicted with a high degree of accuracy.

5. What are some real-life applications of projectile motion with spitting a seed?

Projectile motion with spitting a seed can be applied in sports such as archery, javelin throwing, and discus throwing. It can also be used in engineering and design, such as in the construction of catapults and other launching devices.