Projectile Motion Question: Solving for Height of Pier Above Water

In summary, the problem involves a swimmer diving off a pier and hitting the water at a certain distance. The height of the pier above the water can be calculated using the given equations and the time found using the velocity formula. The final answer for the height of the pier is 0.94 m. The time should be in seconds, not meters per second.
JonathanSnow
[SOLVED] Projectile Motion Question

Homework Statement

a swimmer moving at 1.80m/s dives off a pier and hits the water .80 m from the edge of the pier how high is the pier above the water

Homework Equations

Vx=change X /change Time
change Y = Vyi . change Time +1/2 a . (change time)^2

The Attempt at a Solution

i found time with the Vx formula to be .44m/s
then i punched it into the change Y formula to get the height of the pier as 0.94 m

im just wondering if i approached it right and by change i mean the displacement triangle i just don't know how to make the symbol sorry

thanks ahead of time

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks good, but don't round any of your answers until you get your final answer and your time is supposed to be in units of s, not m/s.

woops a typo there and i didnt round on paper i just wanted to make sure i had it right thanks a lot !

What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air due to the force of gravity. It follows a curved path and can be described using equations of motion.

What factors affect projectile motion?

The factors that affect projectile motion are the initial velocity, the angle of launch, the air resistance, and the force of gravity.

How do you calculate the range of a projectile?

The range of a projectile can be calculated using the equation R = V02sin(2θ)/g, where R is the range, V0 is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of launch, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

What is the maximum height of a projectile?

The maximum height of a projectile can be calculated using the equation H = V02sin2(θ)/2g, where H is the maximum height, V0 is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of launch, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

What are some real-life examples of projectile motion?

Some real-life examples of projectile motion include throwing a ball, a bullet fired from a gun, a rocket launching into space, and a golf ball being hit by a club.